BUCKET LIST MEGALODON TOOTH

Allen Squyres

Hi,

I am new to this website and hope the following is O.K. to ask.

At a young age of 66 years, I have taken a special interest in researching, hunting, and collecting fossilized shark teeth.  It gives me a feeling of wonder, amazement, and accomplishment when finding something nobody has possibly seen or touched in millions of years.  I would imagine it is the same feeling people have when "panning" and finding gold.  Here in Texas, I have visited the Post Oak Creek in Sherman and the North Sulphur River in Ladonia, Texas.  So far, I have found a few small teeth but nothing to brag about.

This year, my Wife and I are planning a mid to late May motorcycle trip visiting the Savannah, Georgia; Summerville/Charleston, and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina areas.  During this trip, I hope to search these areas' local beaches/creeks for some larger teeth with my "bucket list wish" to find at least one large Megalodon (in excess of 4 to 5 inches) tooth.  I am not a deep sea diver.  So, with the ever increasing popularity of shark teeth hunting, I do not know if it is still even possible to find a large Megalodon tooth in these areas.  

Since my vacation time will be limited, I have been doing some internet searching for prime areas to visit, their rules/regulations for hunting shark teeth, and the names of possible individuals/businesses, for a fee, will take you to these prime areas not heavily searched.  In turn, with those of you who have visited or live in these areas, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Allen S.

Forney, Texas (near Dallas)

Edited by Allen Squyres
word correction
  • I found this Informative 1

Good luck on your meg quest!:meg:

If you get on a private tour in the Summerville area (which I do believe exist) you can find some good sized angustidens with relative ease. I’m sure some locals will comment here soon enough. Remember, good quality large megs are rare, not to discourage you but any meg is a good meg. Good luck again, and may the Carcharocles be with you!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This is a fine quest, but around Charleston 4+ inch Megalodon teeth are pretty special. Big ones are typically found by black water divers. That said, big teeth can be found by lucky or very knowledgeable surface hunters. I friend of mine picked up a nearly 5" tooth in great condition just yesterday evening during a big rain at an upland site. He's been searching the site regularly and this is his first big from there. Chances of finding big teeth at public beaches are super slim. I'd say give it your best shot with the knowledge that big teeth are always possible.

G

Thank you, WhodamanHD, for your response.  The Summerville, S.C. area is one of my primary visits.  Based on various YouTube videos and other forum posts, Angustiden, Mako, and Megalodon teeth all can be found in the Summerville ditch cutouts and local creeks.  Also, I understand you have to have a city permit and cannot dig into any side banks due to creating erosion.  Basically, I am wanting to find some larger teeth, greater than 1",  than the ones we have found here in Texas.  The teeth I have found here in Texas are from Post Oak Creek (Cretaceous period) which are usually not complete.

Thank you, flyg, for your response.  Yes, I am aware that a 4 1/2 to 5 inch tooth is going to be a quest.  However, if I can find a couple of smaller angustidens, makos, or megs, larger than the 1 inch teeth we have here in Texas, I will consider my hunt to be a success.  I could buy a meg tooth in the 4 1/2 to 5 inch range; however, it is just not the same as unearthing your first large find which this will be my first try since we do not have large teeth here in Texas.  Best of luck!!!!!

Hello,Allen, and a jolly warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

I know absolutely nothing about this but wish you well in your hunting! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 hours ago, Allen Squyres said:

Thank you, flyg, for your response.  Yes, I am aware that a 4 1/2 to 5 inch tooth is going to be a quest.  However, if I can find a couple of smaller angustidens, makos, or megs, larger than the 1 inch teeth we have here in Texas, I will consider my hunt to be a success.  I could buy a meg tooth in the 4 1/2 to 5 inch range; however, it is just not the same as unearthing your first large find which this will be my first try since we do not have large teeth here in Texas.  Best of luck!!!!!

But I thought everything is bigger in Texas.  I guess shark teeth are the exception.  Please post what you do find out East, even if it isn't a whopper Meg.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I have found meg teeth in the Chehaw, May and Ashepoo Rivers using SCUBA. I would not recommend black water diving to any but the more experienced divers. You can certainly find some big megs in SC but it takes hard work, a lot of training and luck. A good guide who can put you on the spot really helps also. Good luck in your quest. As my dive buddy often says, "there is always a dragon guarding the treasure".

Good luck on the adventure! Just FYI you can find 2-3 inch shark teeth in north and central Texas but certainly not common...:D

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation