Is this a real or fabricated Carcharocles Megalodon?

I just received this in the mail but the ""Certificate of Authenticity" was simply a business card stating fossilized "shark" tooth millions of years old. When I purchased the tooth it was specified Carcharocles Megalodon. Can anybody help me put my mind at ease? The tooth itself is about 4.5 inches. Thank you

20180416_170748.jpg

20180416_170710.jpg

20180416_155507.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Looks like a real megalodon, pretty worn and beat. 

No one would reproduce one in this kind of rough shape. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Never give "certificates of authenticity" for fossils much mind. They have no validity; anyone can print them. If anything, they're just a means for businesses to settle customers' minds on specimens. I have yet to see one actually authenticated by a "professional" paleontologist (they are not really in the business of authenticating fossil specimens for the purposes of selling them and it would take up too much of their time to do so)... But yes-your tooth does seem to be genuine. Megalodon teeth are a dime a dozen, and unless you are after the highest quality, you're unlikely to find a fabricated one because they're just too common to warrant the effort of fabricating a non-pristine specimen.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Is worn and beat a good thing? I was really looking for something as close to the real thing as possible. I'm not a true collector.....yet ;)

Thank you Jesuslover340. It is the same thing with the semi-precious stone tiger's eye. They are mined in so many countries that it would be more expensive to fake it than get the real thing.

7 minutes ago, Mukti said:

Is worn and beat a good thing? I was really looking for something as close to the real thing as possible. I'm not a true collector.....yet ;)

It's actually a fairly complete specimen! It just ate in its lifetime:P So if you want to be really technical, yours is closer to the "real" thing than those that are pristine and haven't had much feeding action :P

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

10 minutes ago, Jesuslover340 said:

It's actually a fairly complete specimen! It just ate in its lifetime:P So if you want to be really technical, yours is closer to the "real" thing than those that are pristine and haven't had much feeding action :P

I have another random question since this is my first "fossil". When handling the tooth or showing others should I or whomever is handling the tooth wear gloves and such to prevent oil from the skin and fingerprints from coming into contact with the tooth or does it not really matter?

22 minutes ago, Mukti said:

I have another random question since this is my first "fossil". When handling the tooth or showing others should I or whomever is handling the tooth wear gloves and such to prevent oil from the skin and fingerprints from coming into contact with the tooth or does it not really matter?

That wonderful, impressive tooth can take anything you can dish out - short of slamming it to a concrete surface. So, if you have any ham-handed friends, caution them not to drop it. Seriously, no special treatment is needed. Wipe it down occasionally with a damp paper towel. It will be fine. Enjoy.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

looks real to me also, nice color

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

4 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

That wonderful, impressive tooth can take anything you can dish out - short of slamming it to a concrete surface. So, if you have any ham-handed friends, caution them not to drop it. Seriously, no special treatment is needed. Wipe it down occasionally with a damp paper towel. It will be fine. Enjoy.

Awesome, although I do plan on keeping handling to a minimum.

24 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Yep. Meg teeth on the whole are pretty sturdy. I wouldn't worry about handling it too much-as Snolly said, just try not to put it in circumstances where it could be dropped on a hard surface. 

Handle at will - you will not damage tooth in doing so. Just don't drop it.

Agree with all of the above. 

Nice genuine tooth, pretty sturdy, don't hit it with a hammer and welcome to the wonderful world of fossil collecting! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

25 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Looks like a meg ledge tooth from off the North Carolina coast.

According to the seller, that is exactly what it is. I'm impressed!

51 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice genuine tooth, pretty sturdy, don't hit it with a hammer and welcome to the wonderful world of fossil collecting! :)

Thank you! I collect guitar picks as well. I'm curious if those collections and fossil collecting could be combined. 

22 minutes ago, Mukti said:

Thank you! I collect guitar picks as well. I'm curious if those collections and fossil collecting could be combined. 

Hmmm

I collect cheese

Could we combine the three? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Mukti said:

You can get dinosaur bone/polished fossil coral/polished turitella guitar picks :ninja:

I too agree with all of the above!

Wonderful  piece!

Personally I prefer the fossils with "battle damage" as opposed to the so called 'mint specimen"

A fossils that really shows the hardships of wear & tear and the sands of time is WAYYY more appealing than the ones that look like the're from yesterday.

But thats just me being s silly goofy Dutchman :-)

2 hours ago, Seaforth said:

I too agree with all of the above!

Wonderful  piece!

Personally I prefer the fossils with "battle damage" as opposed to the so called 'mint specimen"

A fossils that really shows the hardships of wear & tear and the sands of time is WAYYY more appealing than the ones that look like the're from yesterday.

But thats just me being s silly goofy Dutchman :-)

I personally like your silly goofy Dutchman way of thinking. I absolutely agree with you.

7 hours ago, Jesuslover340 said:

You can get dinosaur bone/polished fossil coral/polished turitella guitar picks :ninja:

I'm all over that! Thank you!

12 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

A cheesy Megalodon guitar pick...could get messy but hey it's worth a shot!

• I found this Informative 1