First dinosaur fossils of the season

MedicineHat

19 hours ago, jpc said:

I agree, but I would say more broken than worn. 

Thanks JPC, i agree. Do you think it's a smaller claw or just the tip of a larger claw?

23 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I don't think this has been posted yet,but i could be wrong(about 2,7 MB)

culnbellyrivacanadfl2016_Article_106.pdf

good analysis,might be a bit technical for some

Hey thanks for posting. This is a little above my level but it's always good to have more relevant info to the area.

That article tells you the why,how,and where of fossil distributions in the area.

Which skeletal elements,how much of them,at what locations

Orginal possible abundance,the influence of the environment,the stratigraphy,the taphonomy

Might be helpful in developing your "search envelope"

Plus,it's fairly recent

19 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Whoa!!! Your finds are super impressive @MedicineHat:wub::envy:

Thanks for commenting. I guess a little practice, knowledge and a lot of Luck goes a long way!

On 4/19/2018 at 2:48 PM, MedicineHat said:

Thanks for commenting. I guess a little practice, knowledge and a lot of Luck goes a long way!

It definitely does!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 4/18/2018 at 6:58 AM, MedicineHat said:

Hi Troodon, will you help identify this claw and this other strange specimen?

20180418_063547-864x1152.jpg

20180418_063601_crop_289x280.jpg

20180418_063614_crop_268x262.jpg

20180418_063645_crop_195x183.jpg

20180418_063659_crop_248x176.jpg

20180418_063712_crop_266x224.jpg

20180418_063725_crop_197x191.jpg

This is a dromaeosaur hallux claw. Digit one. The grooves are asymmetrical the higher groove is on the lateral side the lower groove is on the mesial side. These are commonly misidentified as Troodontid sickle claws. But the head on view of the articulating end as well as the very convex medial side are telltale features of the hallux claws on dromaeosaurs. 

Troodontid sickle claws (Digit II claws) have a noticeably parallel lateral edges in the articulating end in head on view. Hallux claws show asymmetry and tend to be slightly wider dorsally than ventrally (but not always)in head on view of the articulating end as your claw shows. 

This is is a common and very understandable identification error. 

0F1A52AB-56D4-40EF-BECB-21233FAB3870.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

These are the articulating end of two Troodontid digit II sickle claws side by side. Showing how they differ from Dromy halluxes:

54BE68F4-C10A-4066-A21B-2031DAC4E0D1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

On 21/04/2018 at 7:11 AM, hxmendoza said:

This is a dromaeosaur hallux claw. Digit one. The grooves are asymmetrical the higher groove is on the lateral side the lower groove is on the mesial side. These are commonly misidentified as Troodontid sickle claws. But the head on view of the articulating end as well as the very convex medial side are telltale features of the hallux claws on dromaeosaurs. 

Troodontid sickle claws (Digit II claws) have a noticeably parallel lateral edges in the articulating end in head on view. Hallux claws show asymmetry and tend to be slightly wider dorsally than ventrally (but not always)in head on view of the articulating end as your claw shows. 

This is is a common and very understandable identification error. 

0F1A52AB-56D4-40EF-BECB-21233FAB3870.jpeg

Thanks for clarifying the difference between these claws and providing information on claw identification and the identification of my tyrannosaurid tooth as well. I'm very glad to know what these specimens are.

This whole discussion has been fascinating and I am so thankful that you all took the time to express interest in my new finds!

I can't wait to hit the field again and see what comes my way. I hope to photograph the next adventure to make it more interesting and informative.

Thanks 

Rod

On 4/22/2018 at 6:42 PM, MedicineHat said:

Thanks for clarifying the difference between these claws and providing information on claw identification and the identification of my tyrannosaurid tooth as well. I'm very glad to know what these specimens are.

On 4/22/2018 at 6:44 PM, MedicineHat said:

This whole discussion has been fascinating and I am so thankful that you all took the time to express interest in my new finds!

I can't wait to hit the field again and see what comes my way. I hope to photograph the next adventure to make it more interesting and informative.

Thanks 

Rod

You are very welcome!

• 4 months later...
On 17/04/2018 at 7:51 AM, Troodon said:

I see more of a claw with these pictures but its so beat up hard to say for sure. Something I would want to hold.

After more examination...I think modern claw. Not rock...organic I think. Oops!

On ‎18‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 7:14 PM, jpc said:

This last one looks like is a piece of Basilemys-like turtle.  Basilemys is the genus in the latest Cretaceous Hell Creek and Lance Fm.  Not sure what it would be called in the Belly River.  Not common.  

This is what i thought too as i saw this material...