Input requested (UPDATE!)

Peat Burns

UPDATE:  This specimen has been identified by Steve LoDuca as Thalassocystis striata, a non-calcareous Silurian macroalga.  Interestingly, the type specimen was found in the same general locality as my specimen.  

I have a friend who works in a Silurian dolomite quarry in Mich. He sent me this pic this evening.  I have not examined the rock in person yet.  The pessimist in me says mineral deposits. The optimist in me says maybe fossil algae.  It's a long shot considering dolomitized limestone... but it sure looks interesting... thoughts?

1257-MMS-1523925814237-attachment1-20180416_072552.thumb.jpg.d31cbe02279195f0c7f1a34552e0b5ca.jpg

It does look organic, doesn't it?

But i agree, the pessimist in me says mineralogical. 

I'm not sure and the optimist is hopeful. 

How big is it , please?

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

It does look organic, doesn't it?

But i agree, the pessimist in me says mineralogical. 

I'm not sure and the optimist is hopeful. 

How big is it , please?

Thanks TD. Unfortunately what I have included is all I have at the moment. I was just kind of excited about it and thought I would share and get early input. I should have more information regarding size and other details tomorrow. And then hopefully be able to examine it in hand once it arrives in the mail

The preservation is consistent with other Silurian algae, something similar to Buthotrephis or Inocaulis.

Here is an excellent paper:

LoDuca, S.T., Bykova, N., Wu, M., Xiao, S., & Zhao, Y. (2017)

Seaweed morphology and ecology during the great animal diversification events of the early Paleozoic: A tale of two floras.

Geobiology, 15:588-616    PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

2 minutes ago, piranha said:

The preservation is consistent with other Silurian algae, something similar to Buthotrephis or Inocaulis.

Here is an excellent paper:

Seaweed morphology and ecology during the great animal diversification events of the early Paleozoic: A tale of two floras.

Oh boy.  I'll be a very happy camper if this turns out to be algae.  I'm gonna read the paper you linked now.  Thank you very much.

10 minutes ago, piranha said:

One of the formations in the paper (Schoolcraft) is listed as an algal lagerstatte. That formation is part of the same group from which the specimen came.  Encouraging!

Please let us know the verdict (I think it looks good, but it's past my turn to be wrong...).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

6 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice acquisition!

Congratulations on the rare piece.

Thank you.  Very exciting.

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

Please let us know the verdict (I think it looks good, but it's past my turn to be wrong...).

I will definitely post an update.  I didn't get a chance to send out an email inquiry today, but I hope to this evening.

UPDATE:  This specimen has been identified by Steve LoDuca as Thalassocystis striata, a non-calcareous Silurian macroalga.  Interestingly, the type specimen was found in the same general locality as my specimen.  

Screenshot_20180418-164738.jpg.a18d8b92bd361da539d322a48727369b.jpg

Thank you @piranha for the contact info!  I'm very pleased to add this specimen and taxon to the collection!

Congratulations! 

Great find. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

Congratulations! 

Great find. :) 

Thank you! I'm ecstatic about this.  It's the first non-calcareous palaeozoic alga in the collection.  I need to get U.P. there and look for more!

4 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

It's the first non-calcareous palaeozoic alga in the collection. 

Congratulations!! Nice and rare piece to add to Your collection.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just now, ynot said:

Congratulations!! Nice and rare piece to add to Your collection.

Thank you, Tony. This one will go on public display for everyone to enjoy :)

1 minute ago, Nimravis said:

That’s a great piece Tony and a nice addition.

Thanks Ralph.  Now all we need is to get yours identified.  Maybe you should also contact LoDuca?

5 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

You must be pleased as punch,Peat.

Silurian lagerstatte are rare in North America!

I am.  I feel a little childish getting so excited about such things, but I can't help it.  I work regularly with living marine macroalgae from South Florida and have shelves of them in spirits, but I never imagined that I'd be holding one from the *middle Silurian* :raindance:

On 4/17/2018 at 12:37 AM, Peat Burns said:

Fantastic! I am happy for you (and quite jealous). :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

54 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

UPDATE:  This specimen has been identified by Steve LoDuca as Thalassocystis striata, a non-calcareous Silurian macroalga.  Interestingly, the type specimen was found in the same general locality as my specimen.  Thank you @piranha for the contact info!  I'm very pleased to add this specimen and taxon to the collection!

I'm surprised to hear Thalassocystis striata.  The figures from LoDuca et al. 2017 and Taggart & Parker 1976 look quite different to my untrained eye. 

It pays to call the expert... Congrats!  :fistbump:

IMG1.thumb.png.946bb792fcb0c8eed0e9951b552e1b8a.png

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

10 minutes ago, Auspex said:

Fantastic! I am happy for you (and quite jealous). :)

Thanks Auspex. If I find more / enough this summer, perhaps I can send you one :)

Just now, piranha said:

I'm surprised to hear Thalassocystis striata.  The figures from LoDuca et al. 2017, and Taggart & Parker 1976 look quite different to my untrained eye. 

It pays to call the expert... Congrats!  :fistbump:

IMG1.thumb.png.946bb792fcb0c8eed0e9951b552e1b8a.png

Yes, I was surprised, too. I'm not seeing the apical bladders .  I thought Inocaulus and Buthotrephis looked like better matches (although the latter has micro "tubules" that don't appear present in mine).  But he's the expert.  I'll put his name on the label so he can take all credit or blame:)

Archived