Microfossil finds

PetrifiedDoubleGulp

Hi all, 

I just got the studio equipped with a digital microscope, and I've been enjoying looking through the sediments of fossil prep work.

I'm finding a lot of micro crystals, and other forms that seem like pollen, or microscopic life

I also found 2 insects, which I'm not sure of their origin, they could be contamination from the room, but I'm fairly certain this batch came from caked-on sediments at the bottom of my sample container.

alien.jpg

creature.jpg

insects.jpg

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

I agree that they look modern. The second piece looks like the shed skin of insect legs.

I’ve been trying to piece that one together with the “darker body” as some weird hybrid octopus/insect. :hearty-laugh: Now that you point out just insect legs, it makes a lot more sense. 

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

This seems more jellified - something like a hydra perhaps?

The freshwater Hydra was my thought also, seeing the specimen. They are lovely creatures. I had (35 years ago) three of them in my aquarium, and I was amazed at that time. I'm glad you had the same idea about the ID. :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 year later...

This one I've been scratching my head about for some time now. It was found in cretaceous sediments, the caked on matrix from inside a cretaceous oyster. 

I cleaned the specimen thoroughly before reducing the matrix with vinegar, and putting the slurry through my 120 sieve.  The other shape has interesting patterning on it. My guess is a micro fragment of cretaceous shell of some sort. Really not sure about that first critter though.

weird_Creature_small.jpg

shell_shard_closeup.jpg

shell_shard.jpg

The third one looks like a louse. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!