What kind of clay is best?

Bone guy

So I've been trying to get creative with fossil displays, and I've seen people use a kind of clay to display their fossils and ID cards. What kind of clay should I look for???

Brandon, I think if you look at craft stores you will find a few varieties. Something like Tacky putty or quake putty , used to hold items in place during mild earthquakes. 

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

There was a thread last year about museum putty on TFF, I think . I only thought the putty was a short term solution for holding fossil in place .

1 minute ago, Bone guy said:

@Bobby Rico I'm more or less looking for something to hold ID cards....I'll probably go look for a non-oil putty.

Just in case you didn’t know, most putties (I’m not sure if this is the correct plural spelling of putty) that you buy from craft stores will eventually stain anything with oil, some sooner rather than later, even if they say oil free/non-staining. I’ve worked arts and crafts retail for almost 8 years, I know the truth behind some products. :P However, I haven’t had any experience in mineral putty, which could be different. Maybe someone else could chime in on that part.

49 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Stick with what the pros use: Mineral Tack. I use it too.

Any good sources for PVA beads?

All my sources have stopped selling or stopped selling in smaller quantities. I can find it in 100 kilo bags or bigger lots.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Check out: http://museumservicescorporation.mybigcommerce.com/search.php?search_query=pva

They claim to sell in 1kg quantity. Check under product description.

If you stiff cannot get the quantity and price that you want consider contacting your local paleontology society to see if they want to make a bulk order and split it up with several people.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

46 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Check out: http://museumservicescorporation.mybigcommerce.com/search.php?search_query=pva

They claim to sell in 1kg quantity. Check under product description.

If you stiff cannot get the quantity and price that you want consider contacting your local paleontology society to see if they want to make a bulk order and split it up with several people.

Thanks. Looks promising.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Or you could buy a cheap tile saw,  cut a card groove in a very nice chunk of heavy and well mineralized dugong rib to hold your card.

I do good work with the saw.  My daughter in Texas tells me that all the big oil offices make their card holders out of drill cores.

She now has the only fossilized dugong rib card holder in the State.  Get a lot of comments on it.

• I found this Informative 1

Well why didn't you say you wanted it for ID cards.

Here us what I use. It is a wood moulding called bead rail found at most home building supply stores. Something like $2.20 for an 8' strip.  I cut it into small sections, attach double sided tape against a card stock label and shabam, a perfectly angled and nicely weighted ID  card.

20180417_173555.jpg

20180417_173525.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG