I took my camera along again

Ludwigia

I made another visit to that site in the Middle Jurassic Aalenian to continue on where I'd left off last week. Here's the original report . I headed back up to the exposure with the intent of continuing along removing more of the weathered blocks from the bank. But first of all, I noticed a possibility to remove a bit more overburden from my dig last week. Like I'd mentioned before, this overburden belongs to the so-called staufensis bank and there's always a chance of finding something in it, although they are few and far between and not always complete. But waddayaknow! I uncovered a Staufenia staufensis ! You can't see it all that well in the first photo, since most of it is still inside the matrix, maybe a bit better in the second one. I had just dug out the missing piece of the venter and took another shot.

1.thumb.jpg.fff87fb41604199006ed22ef1947b3ec.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.523530c3e2b148cc5ba5bf00aaf92197.jpg

I banged around a bit more, but soon gave up when the going got too tough. Then I turned my attention for about half an hour to scraping away the dirt and rubble in front of the weathered blocks.

3.thumb.jpg.8891df69c838c6b9f21f3b52083b212c.jpg    

Then I started hammering and prying out the blocks, starting as usual at the top. It didn't take long this time before the finds started showing themselves.

4.thumb.jpg.f7f39be710e437425af9210ccfabdfce.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.c9affe25a5069570a24185c3fb7d83fa.jpg   

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

This next one came out in a good number of pieces. It took a good half an hour to extricate them all since I had to remove more overburden in order to get at the back part of it. It's quite a large Ludwigia haugi, by the looks of it, but it's going to take a bit of puzzling to complete it. I hope I managed to salvage all of it.

6.thumb.jpg.446ba3fd7a5592ad556ceeb3b0775283.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.31c7677a08caf9c5e568757e9ffef106.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.541816499854fddbde2ba6c82078c2ed.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.5d5e9245117c50b7918ad055049216ea.jpg

Here are all the bits together.

10.thumb.jpg.e28ab6293455955aef03f62d0f66b29d.jpg

Another one with 3 ammos in it.

11.thumb.jpg.643171952bc253bcc26b324638457e83.jpg

The next photos show a series of ammonites which should fit together to make a nice little multiblock.

12.thumb.jpg.37dd433b303cf792fac7ed1706f39e78.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.3d578363974497f79b574295b87f7ed3.jpg

Oops. Just ran out of bytes again.

So here they are fit together.

14.thumb.jpg.e1722a28baa3b44e276f46ee12f7a127.jpg

There was still one more large block at the bottom to be extricated and time was beginning to run short, since my wife was expecting me to be back at a certain time with the car so that she could go to her meeting. It's a three quarter hours drive to get there, but I still had about two hours to go, so I figured I'd get this last deed done before I packed up. I was prying away with my heavy duty bar, when suddenly something went "pop", and it wasn't the rock! I think I popped a vert! Ouch! Before I completely panicked I did a series of quick bending movements every whichway and was relieved to notice that nothing had been displaced. Whatever it was just popped back in again, thank God! I could move just fine, but it still hurt. It settled down a bit after a 5 minute rest, so I decided despite the injury to get the job done, since this block was definitely a large chunk of the sinon bank. So with a little finesse I managed to extricate the block after another 15 minutes. There should be a good number of ammos in this. Here is the cause of my woes.

15.thumb.jpg.efbb077f9bce16667a6511be8f597fa3.jpg

16.thumb.jpg.aee08d1251468fba8eaf9d4e5f178cd7.jpg

To make matters worse, I discovered another ammonite block on the roof of the cavern left behind by the block. Fortunately I managed to extricate it in a few minutes since the matrix was ideally cracked.

17.thumb.jpg.395bec8a402c625a0903628d06ccbaa7.jpg

I was a little concerned whille wrapping all these finds up whether my back would hold up to the transport down the hill, but it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined and I arrived unscathed back at the car. So that was my adventure for the day. I got back home with half an hour to spare and jumped straight under the shower. Then my loving wife, who just happens to be a therapist, gave me a couple of needles full of a homeopathic muscle relaxer before she left for her meeting. Then I could sit back in my recliner and enjoy the German football League Cup semi-final game between Bayern München and Bayer Leverkusen. Bayern won 6-2. All's well that ends well.

You're not working with the easiest stuff here, are you? Digging into the bedrock sideways into the layers? Then having to do jigsaw puzzles later? (and prepping them out)

Excellent photo essay! 

Thanks for the field trip, Roger. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Better than the National Geographic.  Thanks for the detail and great pics.

Enjoyed the description and the photos. Thanks for sharing the experience (not the back trouble, hope any problem quickly resolves).

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks like a successful trip once again. Thanks for the virtual tour of Your site.

Looking forward to seeing them after You work Your magic on them!

Hope the back is not hurting any more.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you for the informative and beautifull report, I like this kind of documentation very much!

Btw, it seems your are operating your own, private quarries...

I wish you good recovery!

Franz Bernhard

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

You're no working with the easiest stuff here, are you? Digging into the bedrock sideways into the layers? Then having to do jigsaw puzzles later? (and prepping them out)

You noticed :D

5 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Better than the National Geographic.  Thanks for the detail and great pics.

And it doesn't cost you anything either :P

3 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Enjoyed the description and the photos. Thanks for sharing the experience (not the back trouble, hope any problem quickly resolves).

Thanks for the support and sympathy Snolly. The night was slightly uncomfortable, but I've experienced much worse in the past.

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks like a successful trip once again. Thanks for the virtual tour of Your site.

Looking forward to seeing them after You work Your magic on them!

Hope the back is not hurting any more.

I'll be posting them bit by bit as I get them done. I think the nagging pain will still last for a few days, but at least the injury is not restricting my movements.

32 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thank you for the informative and beautifull report, I like this kind of documentation very much!

Btw, it seems your are operating your own, private quarries...

I wish you good recovery!

Franz Bernhard

Thanks Franz. I guess you could say that this is my personal spot, since no one else at all seems to visit it, even though I've informed a few of my friends about it.

Oh wow, Roger - your poor back!!!  I hope it gets better quickly!

I am always amazed at your finds and your prep work - keep 'em coming! :wub::ammonite01:

Looking forward to your awesome prep work!:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

11 hours ago, Monica said:

Oh wow, Roger - your poor back!!!  I hope it gets better quickly!

I am always amazed at your finds and your prep work - keep 'em coming! :wub::ammonite01:

Thanks Monica. My back is already feeling better today, although I did wake up and change position in the night a couple of times.

7 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Looking forward to your awesome prep work!:popcorn:

Coming right up :)

I picked out the ones this afternoon which I estimated wouldn't take too long since the fossils were already pretty well exposed on the matrix. So it was just a matter of giving the matrix blocks some form before I finished them off with the abrader. The first one is my very first find from above out of the staufensis bank. A Staufenia staufensis with a diameter of 14cm. This species has the striking form of a discus. I always wonder how the creatures fit into such a narrow space :P

A1379a.thumb.jpg.b0814f90ba515f0522088e2fa6d12eec.jpg

A1379c.thumb.jpg.ba68049542534ca113dafaf4ba75b11a.jpg

The next are two little multiblocks with Ancolioceras opalinoides. The first with 3 ammos and the second with a single in the middle surrounded by bivalve shell substance.

26a.jpg.4fdfc2ddcb95b43169518d5b343d5988.jpg

27b.jpg.8308d84ff6797ea94a9ffadf9eedf609.jpg

The rest is going to take a bit longer. The blocks have quite a few ammonites under the matrix and I need to give some thought as how to approach them and then there'll be a lot of digging around with the stylus and abrading in between in order to find the optimal solution.

Wonderful report as always. :)

I really understand and sympathize with the back pain, ouch! 

Lovely prepping. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wonderful report as always. :)

I really understand and sympathize with the back pain, ouch! 

Lovely prepping. 

Thanks Adam.

Archived