MORE North Carolina Fossils - Some I can do, Some I cannot!

Dpaul7

Three Gastropods- I would like ID confirmation.

I THINK the first one (photo #1 & 2) is Astarte Concentrica.

The SECOND bivalve I have no idea; I cannot find a match. (Photo 2 & 3)

The THIRD one (photo5 & 6) I believe is Busycon carica.

Astarte concentrica Bivalve 2.JPG

Astarte concentrica Bivalve 3.JPG

BIVALVE A2.JPG

BIVALVE A3.JPG

Busycon carica Gastropod 1.JPG

Busycon carica Gastropod 2.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You nailed the genus for the first bivalve, but I believe the species is Astarte griftonensis.

The second bivalve is Glycimeris americanus.  Both it and the Astarte are indicative of Mio-Plio sediments, specifically the Yorktown & James River formations.

In regards to the whelk, I wanna do some digging, if you'll pardon the phrase.  The ornamentation coupled with the size makes me wonder if it is indeed Busycon

• I found this Informative 3

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Many thanks! I will be posting one more, and odd one.  IT LOOKS sort of like a Devil's Toenail in some ways, but I don't think it is -- the "bottom" seems different.  Our local Pennsylvania flora & marine fauna is fairly easy for me... North Carolina not so much.  Again, many thanks!

DR

you might try a modern shell guide to get you to genus on many of these neogene fossil shells. Once you get a genus you can google "Genus Name, whatever formation"

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice shells!

One thing though:

15 hours ago, Dpaul7 said:

Three Gastropods

They are not all three gastropods!!! Only the last one is. The first two are bivalves: a separate class. 

Both gastropods (class: Gastropoda) and bivalves (class: Bivalvia) are part of the Mollusca family, so they are both mollusks. They are also both considered seashells, but that's not a very scientific term. 

A fantastic website to help you with identifying fossil mollusks from South-Eastern USA is this one: Neogene Atlas Incredibly useful!

Anyways, on the ID of your present finds: 

For #1, Astarte concentrica seems to match rather well IMO. @hemipristis , where did you get your ID of  A. griftonensis from?

For #2, I think @hemipristis is spot on.  Glycymeris americana does seem to be a great match. The shells of the Glycymeris species are very easy to recognize thanks to their special dentition: these bunch of little "teeth" are typical of them (and other shells with a taxodont dentition). 

For #3, I think that Sinistrofulgur yeehaw is the most fitting. I have a very similar shell which was IDd this way:

Fantastic name, don't you think? :P 

Once again, great little shells! :wub: 

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 4

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

14 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

For #1, Astarte concentrica seems to match rather well IMO. @hemipristis , where did you get your ID of  A. griftonensis from?

For #3, I think that Sinistrofulgur yeehaw is the most fitting. I have a very similar shell which was IDd this way:

Re: the Astarte, I was going by an old Southeastern Geology publication. It's def possible that A. griftonensis ended up as the same as A. concentrica, and it is not used.

re: the whelk, I'm glad you found an ID.  I looked at the Busycon carica and Busycon adversarias that I have as well as a third species in the Lee Creek Vol. 2 Smithsonian pub (I can't remember the genus/species at the moment), and it did not resemble any of the three

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

What is the deal with the name sinistrol fulgur yeehaw? Is this the humor of the finder of the species?

6 hours ago, Malone said:

What is the deal with the name sinistrol fulgur yeehaw? Is this the humor of the finder of the species?

Yup, that is the size of it.:P

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 minutes ago, ynot said:

Yup, that is the size of it.:P

I want to find a new fossil so I can make up some crazy names! lol 

On 4/19/2018 at 4:42 PM, Malone said:

I want to find a new fossil so I can make up some crazy names! lol 

Good luck with that! :ighappy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

On 4/19/2018 at 9:25 AM, hemipristis said:

Re: the Astarte, I was going by an old Southeastern Geology publication. It's def possible that A. griftonensis ended up as the same as A. concentrica, and it is not used.

re: the whelk, I'm glad you found an ID.  I looked at the Busycon carica and Busycon adversarias that I have as well as a third species in the Lee Creek Vol. 2 Smithsonian pub (I can't remember the genus/species at the moment), and it did not resemble any of the three

Right ok. Well glad I could help with the whelk. :) 

Max Derème

Just now, Max-fossils said:

Good luck with that! :ighappy:

If you believe the video I posted in general discussion,from Utah university, only a small fraction of the fossils have been found. Anyway it's neat to try and think of names that you might call one if found one.

@Dpaul7 can you give us info on where these were actually found. The coast of NC contains Pleistocene, Miocene, Pliocene and Oligocene sediments that these could have came from. If the first one is from Lee Creek, then I would say it is from the James City and is indeed A. concentrica. If from another location I would call it Astarte sp. I do not think it is A. griftonensis, unless it came from a singular location in Pitt County. 

The second bivalve if it came from Lee Creek it is Glycymeris americana. If ir is from Oligocene sediments I would say it is Glycymeris parilis.

The gastropod is Sinustrofulgur contrarium. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

On 4/20/2018 at 6:02 PM, Malone said:

If you believe the video I posted in general discussion,from Utah university, only a small fraction of the fossils have been found. Anyway it's neat to try and think of names that you might call one if found one.

I know that only a tiny percentage of all fossils have been found, but finding a new species is still very difficult nonetheless! I DO hope that you find one though ;) 

Max Derème

29 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I know that only a tiny percentage of all fossils have been found, but finding a new species is still very difficult nonetheless! I DO hope that you find one though ;) 

Me too and I hope you do as well! That's one of the things I like about fossils,all the different life forms!

Edited by Malone
Coma missing

Thank you ONE AND ALL!  Very good data and links!  I have NO IDEA why I titled this 3 GASTROPODS... I've known the difference for 55 years or more!  I'll chalk that up to a long day and old age!

@sixgill pete - All I know is East Carolina coat.  My sister does not remember the site.... She took her son fossil hnting 25 years ago or more.... and she just came across these.  I know they hunted in Aurora.... and I have similar ones I KNOW are from Lee Creek.

2 minutes ago, Dpaul7 said:

Thank you ONE AND ALL!  Very good data and links!  I have NO IDEA why I titled this 3 GASTROPODS... I've known the difference for 55 years or more!  I'll chalk that up to a long day and old age!

@sixgill pete - All I know is East Carolina coat.  My sister does not remember the site.... She took her son fossil hnting 25 years ago or more.... and she just came across these.  I know they hunted in Aurora.... and I have similar ones I KNOW are from Lee Creek.

Lee Creek and Aurora are the same place. Aurora is the town and Lee Creek is the mine the matrix comes from people hunt at the museum.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I am hoping to visit there this summer!  In the meantime.... IT IS FINALLY getting warmer here, and I will be out hunting fossils VERY SOON!