Worm or something else ?

TUMNI GREEN

This doesn't look like a situation where one would expect to find trace fossils.

I would suspect that possibly it may be where someone extracted a fossil in the past .

Can you give us anymore supporting  information ?

Haven't had any experience with chalk yet. It must be a little different than average limestone.

56 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Haven't had any experience with chalk yet. It must be a little different than average limestone.

Just purer calcium carbonate, so usually more brittle and powdery. Also reacts with vinegar vigorously.

Is there a possibility this could be an ammonite aptychus?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

58 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Just purer calcium carbonate, so usually more brittle and powdery.

I've seen traces in limey sandstone, but not purer calcium carbonate than that. Is the coccolith origin what makes the difference ? Or is it just my perception ?

This form seems to be barely differentiated from the matrix. An in-filled burrow makes sense.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is an in-filled burrow trace fossil, probably made by a crustacean. Note the semi parallel scratch marks that start and stop and meander slightly. These are not the more regular and parallel features expected from coral, polychaete worm tubes or an aptychus.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Can we have the location, geological settings of the find, dimensions and a few more clear pictures from different angles of the specimen ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Quite a nice burrow piece. :)

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:57 AM, Rockwood said:

Here is an algae in chalk : goniolina hexagona

post-2385-0-48896400-1464377778.jpg

And it's back size.

P3231932.JPG.a5b25c04c2fd9fc75cc1ed859815440c.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

12 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

Here is an algae in chalk

I'm taking this to mean that chalk has a slightly different preservation potential than other marine limestones.

I'm allotting a couple days of spring vacation in Denver for a bit of exploring over in Kansas. ;)  

• I found this Informative 1