One odd Gastropod - Devil's Toenail?

Dpaul7

Hello!

Here is an odd gastropod - Is it a "devil's toenail"?  I've never seen one like this!

Many thanks!

DR

UNK 1.JPG

UNK 2.JPG

Looks like a fossil worm tube to me. Where did you find it?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The Devil's Toenail, Gryphaea sp is a bivalve 

image.jpeg.1257645320f19b49966b5aac895ff40f.jpeg

It is predominantly Jurassic, with some Cretaceous and Eocene forms 

I agree that what you have there looks like some sort of worm tube 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

or one volution of a cliona ridden loosely coiled gastropod? Am liking the worm tube idea better...

I'm nearly certain that this isn't a devil's toenail (Gryphaea, as @Tidgy's Dad mentioned), but it is very likely a piece of a gastropod. I'm not gonna attempt to narrow it more down, because I think that this is only a fragment of the complete shell. Therefore IDing this in detail will be very hard. A piece of worm tube could also be a good possibility. 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thank you all.  Worm Tube is sounding good, especially since there is a hole at each end....of equal size...  ONE THING DOES bother me... On the 1st photo, with the smooth area... the evenly spaced holes?????

There are two possibilities:
1 - vermetidae gastropod fragment
2 - tube worm fragment

" The empty calcareous tubes of certain marine annelid tube worms, for example the Serpulidae, can sometimes be casually misidentified as empty vermetid shells, and vice versa. The difference is that vermetid shells are shiny inside and have three shell layers, whereas the annelid worm tubes are dull inside and have only two shell layers." - Wikipedia

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library