nj cretaceous stream interesting finds.id please

brad hinkelman

if anyone can help share some info on the following.this is a cretaceous stream but I'm assuming maybe glacier brought in the coral and any info on it and age and any info on the others...thanks

100_6127.JPG

100_6128.JPG

100_6129.JPG

1. Maybe Devonian coral

2. Partial Scute or iron piece, probably scute 

3. Muskrat tooth (modern)

4. Beaver tooth (Pleistocene?)

: )

A nice selection of finds. 

The scute piece looks turtle to me. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just a clarification of terms: I would definitely avoid the word scute for bony dermal/armor elements, especially for turtles. Osteoderm is best for crocs, dinosaurs, placodonts, armadillos, etc., but this is arguable for the turtle. For turtles it's best to just go with 'turtle shell fragment.' Scute should be reserved for the keratinous coverings of osteoderms, which are rarely, if ever, preserved as fossils.

I think number 2 is a piece of soft shell turtle. Not deep enough divots to be croc (from what i've seen here) so I'm pretty confident with that ID. That's a nice find!

For the last tooth; I would love to hear that it's Pleistocene but every beaver piece I've found there ends up being modern upon close inspection (the streams do weird things to modern bones and teeth). Please note, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the ID of beaver tooth (I'm not a mammal expert) but if that ends up being the case, it usually turns out to be modern.

The number one piece is coral brought down from northern older deposits. Number two is a croc osteoderm. Turtle shell fragments from the soft shell turtle Trionyx are usually thicker than this one and also have a more porous bone structure. They also have slightly shallower divots and the divot pattern is more even. I agree with the identifications for the other two; the beaver tooth may be Pleistocene or modern.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Archived