Squalodon or Seal

Calvert Cliff Dweller

Hey guys I need your opinion on what these teeth are. They both came out of matrix of Zone 8 or 9 Blue Clay Calvert Formation 

They are rather small for Squalodon but could be from a juvenile specimen or could be Seal ?

Thanks Cliff Dweller

image.jpg

The one with the double root looks like squalodon to me. Were these teeth associated? 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

They were in a couple of feet of each other in the blue clay at Brownies.

Definitely Squalodon. Double root is nice!large.whale_xenophorid_dolphin.JPG.011ee050001b23a5d5aabd95bb607d95.JPG.f66762b7db3fa4c4539a9067730b661a.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

The single rooted tooth looks like delphinodon dividum... but I hunt on the other side of the Atlantic. (Antwerp, Belgium) So not quite sure

• I found this Informative 2

Nice! I’m sure @Boesse will know exactly what it is. 

36 minutes ago, CharlotteG said:

The single rooted tooth looks like delphinodon dividum... but I hunt on the other side of the Atlantic. (Antwerp, Belgium) So not quite sure

I believe it is sometimes found in the cliffs, but I know little more than that.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks guys for your help on IDENTIFYING these teeth. I remember finding them on the same day along with a Squalodon root fragment within a few feet of each other in the same blue gray clay Slump pile. 

5 hours ago, CharlotteG said:

Since I have your attention Charlotte and you are knowledgeable in Miocene whale department I have these to associated I believe Whale teeth that I found in the matrix of Zone 10 Calvert formation in Maryland USA. What is your take on these specimens.image.thumb.jpg.1376f4395463ad3e5fe2e07a0629f240.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.1376f4395463ad3e5fe2e07a0629f240.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi sorry for the hiatus! The single rooted tooth above is certainly Delphinodon, and the double rooted tooth looks like a miniature Squalodon; smallish Squalodon-like teeth are known from the Pungo but are unpublished. The two teeth in the most recent picture look like Squalodon incisor tusks.

• I found this Informative 2