Mazon Creek Fossil ID please - 1

Pathgirl

Here is the first of my cracked concretions from my first trip to Mazon Creek. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if this was from pit 11 Essex biota or from Braceville Mound.  It seems like there might be segments and little filament-like branches, but I'm truly not sure.  Also, the dark color is throwing me off.  Any ideas???

5ad7f0ff003b9_goodone11.thumb.JPG.1e6ca4eb840e99bcf7f82a0f8173ad55.JPG5ad7f12252703_goodone33.thumb.JPG.2341ad7e7bcf9bd028a81379e22d9031.JPG

The second pic leads me to  believe Jellyfish. But maybe someone with more experience with these can either confirm or deny.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The middle section looks similar to my coprolite concretions I've found, but that black ring also could point to a jelly as Darktooth pointed out. Its possible the ring is just mineralization or carbonization of some organic materials. Maybe @fossilized6s  @RCFossils @Rob Russell or @Nimravis might be able to give you a better insight as to whats going on with this. But to me, it looks like a coprolite. Sorry I can be of anymore help, but I typically focus on ordovician trilobites of the upper Mississippi valley. Rob found an amazing shrimp on opening day. I was shocked not to see it in the IPFOTM contest. Maybe we'll see you out hunting!

Best regards, 

Paul

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

I agree with @Raggedy Man , looks like a very weathered piece of coprolite and nothing else. The concretion looks like a piece that you would find at Pit 11 at the Tipple Area. The fossils from there tends to get a little stained if they are just sitting around. I don’t recall the Braceville concretions looking like that, as I collected those many years ago and got tons of them when they were using the material from the shaft mine for fill for the road going over I-55. That was a great time to collect, they were everywhere until they but grass down or until I collected them all- :).

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I collected those many years ago and got tons of them when they were using the material from the shaft mine for fill for the road going over I-55. That was a great time to collect, they were everywhere until they but grass down or until I collected them all- :).

Something tells me it was the latter.;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Maybe coprolite, with some definite mineral staining. 

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.