Ptychodus tooth? found at North Sulfur River

Koldsimer

Found this interesting piece the other day at the north sulfur river. The overall shape reminds me of a couple of the larger Ptychodus teeth i have but the texture looks completely different. Looking forward to some input. Thanks!

tooth 2.JPG

tooth 1.JPG

I don't know the area at all, but it looks like a coral to me.

is that possible there? 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I was thinking what Adam was thinking: coral, meandroid coral. Probable a rare find for NSR

https://www.google.com/search?q=meandroid+coral&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=LmOi9ZcgbBt2rM:

Interesting, let's bring in some expert Texans: @Uncle Siphuncle and @JohnJ

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Never seen such a thing on the NSR!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wow, what a find! Looks like a chunk of brain corral that just sat underground for a few million years. The preservation is awesome.

@Koldsimer Please send a photo of the bottom side. Using a handle lens, magnifying lens etc. can you tell us what both the tubular tan areas and the lighter areas in between are made of. If both are composed of silt/sand then maybe it is a burrow of some sort. The tan areas sort of look sandy/silty to me but photos can deceive. If the tan areas are of a single solid mineral (calcite) then coral is more of a possibility. Also, can you put some acid/vinegar on the rock and see if the tan and white areas fizz.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.