4/19/18- additional Xiphactinus jaw + other fish (Dallas)

John S.

Found another piece of my Xiphactinus  puzzle. I’ll keep returning to see if there’s more. Also found some scattered fish remains. 

North Dallas

Late Cretaceous 

85-88 mya

12E809EF-2931-447F-AC38-0C32FA21CE75.jpeg

C8F618C6-D756-400F-A69D-A9DCC2476230.jpeg

9BC49AC0-D97D-4A46-8432-CEC752CE5AFD.jpeg

F318F811-EC80-4922-89AB-D1723CABC7B7.jpeg

9E219D6B-3621-4E61-AB04-004255FAFB56.jpeg

97010AB5-DF95-4326-903A-6BD73E90F791.jpeg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Associated jaw sections and vertebrae

F9CFCBC1-17D1-4141-820B-B19F24EAA520.jpeg

9816CED8-0172-4DDD-A2E1-45CE2AB1278B.jpeg

North Central Texas

Amazing. Reminds me of the trilobite I found in Minnesota and returned a month later and found another piece of it. Unfortunately, I only found 1 other piece, but it was still amazing to find it. I still hope I'll find the rest, but its unlikely. I hope to make it down to Texas this year and hit the spots I took the time to research and find. But we'll see. Great finds and I hope you recover the rest! I look forward to seeing if the cards are in your favor!! Good luck mate!

...I'm back.

"Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This Xiphactinus, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go."

A little quote from a certain Paleo captain we come to know and love. :P

(Nail the reference, and mad respect coming your way).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

By golly those are absolutely stunning :wub:! I'd love to go there hunting for fossils some time...

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

7 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Quint in "Jaws"

-Joe

Ding ding! And we have a winner here! :D

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Nice! I see 2 dentaries, 2 maxillas and 1 premax. Need 1 more premax to rebuild the entire mouth. Nice!!

CONGRATS to you John!  I am wondering if image #4 might be a portion of a Cimolichthys skull?  Thinking a profile section?  ALSO, is image #5 an "as found" image of #4?  I am going back to Western Kansas and my HAPPY PLACE in the Smoky Hill Chalk....a little less than 1 month to go!!!   SURE do wish I lived a WHOLE LOT closer to ANYWHERE!!!    dave 

10 hours ago, Xiphactinus said:

Nice! I see 2 dentaries, 2 maxillas and 1 premax. Need 1 more premax to rebuild the entire mouth. Nice!!

Nice, reason to keep looking!

North Central Texas

10 hours ago, Castle Rock said:

CONGRATS to you John!  I am wondering if image #4 might be a portion of a Cimolichthys skull?  Thinking a profile section?  ALSO, is image #5 an "as found" image of #4?  I am going back to Western Kansas and my HAPPY PLACE in the Smoky Hill Chalk....a little less than 1 month to go!!!   SURE do wish I lived a WHOLE LOT closer to ANYWHERE!!!    dave 

Thanks! Yes pic 5 is the same fish remains as 4. Id love to visit the smoky hill chalk one day excited for you!

North Central Texas

Archived