Please help identify

Hank

Is this possibly stromatolites?  Found just north of Golden Shores, Arizona, in a dry wash in loose material on the bank of the wash.  Thank you for any help, very new to collecting fossils.IMG_2506.JPG.ec75c7febd51265f88d440aeffa48fd6.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Welcome to TFF!

My first impression is yes it is a stromatolite.

But there are a lot of sedimentary rocks in that area that can look like stromatolite.

Wait for more opinions on this one.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to the forum. :) 

It could be a stromatolite, but perhaps it will help identification if you tell us about the size of the specimen. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks like stromatolites but I am not in an expect in them so hopefully someone with knowledge on this will help you. Welcome to the forum!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

It could be a stromatoporoid.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The lines seem too thick for stromatolites but I am definitely not an expert! The ones I have seen and found have very thin lines/layers. I didn't even know what a stromatolite was until someone on the forum told me probably a month or two ago!

1 hour ago, Malone said:

I think abyssunder has the right idea.

Malone and Abyssunder might be right. The features of the top of the colony might help with an ID.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Would I see evidence of mamelons if this is a stromatoporoid?  If so would they be on either end?

• I found this Informative 1

You beat me to it Hank. You might see mamelons if this is a stromatoporoid. See if you can give us a photo of the top of the colony. Stromatolites are nearly featureless on top while stromatoporoids have regular repeating features similar to bryozoan or sponges.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The photos are not clear enough for me to say that I see regular repeating features that are associated with stromatoporoids. I will say that they are likely stromatolites unless you can see diagnostic features that the photos do not show us.

46 minutes ago, Malone said:

lol except me! Cause I texted that I thought it too thick for stromatolites. Oh well.

Count the lamina per cm in the example and scale it to the 6" of the post.

I'm with your first thought.

Kind of makes stromatoporoid a long shot to.

• I found this Informative 2

If the specimen has laminae and pillars it's a stromatoporoid.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Here is the best online reference to tell the difference between stromatolites and stromatoporoids from Dr. Steve Kershaw. I suggest the original poster send a picture of it to Steve.  (Let us know what he says.)  stephen.kershaw@brunel.ac.uk Sometimes you need a lens or microscope to tell the difference: 

http://www.earthsurfaceprocesses.com/3f-E-StromatolitesStromatoporoids.html