Please help identify

Hank

John beat me to it. :)

If I put your specimen in a 90 degrees-rotated position I can see how it resembles the columnar stromatolite of the comparative picture, but there are not enough details to distinguish if there are pillars present or not.

IMG_2513.JPG.8f0b3d1264224498a9c48e4dd5238b23.JPG.abdf00efb334e418cd5ffca96d791df5.JPG3f-E-Stromatolites-StromatoporoidsFig10a.jpg.36f152220fe92169dab7710328ed2be7.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I've included more photos showing lateral lines in the piece.  I am not knowledgeable enough to determine what a pillar should look like.  If I am understanding what has been discussed, if there are no pillars it is a probable stromatolite.  Would what is in the photos be considered pillars?  Some of the lines look like cracks that were later cemented with another material.

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2518.JPG

8 minutes ago, Malone said:

Is it possible that it's a combination of both?

@Malone, what is "it" and what are "both"?

Hank, pillars are organic vertical structures made by stromatoporoids in each of their horizontal lamina. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

12 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

@Malone, what is "it" and what are "both"?

Hank, pillars are organic vertical structures made by stromatoporoids in each of their horizontal lamina. 

The article I posted says the picture posted is a combination of stromatolites and stromatopoids(both) It would be what is.

Or could the object in question be a combination of more than one type of organism?

Edited by Malone
Clarification

13 minutes ago, Malone said:

Or could the object in question be a combination of more than one type of organism?

Theoretically yes this could be an intergrown mixture of both types of organisms. So far we are not sure what this is let alone if one organism is growing on another. Probably microscopic pictures might tell. Hopefully Hank will send a photo of it to Kershaw for an ID.

• I found this Informative 1

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Photos and a request for identification sent to Mr. Kershaw.  Will let you know when I hear back.

In my opinion the structure is too porous for a stromatolite, also I can see laminae and pillars, but to be sure of this, high-res images are needed.

IMG_2517.JPG.7348b15c8ec37d1b8a4fe4328128a8b3.JPG.36bb437be9746d400b750520dad056a7.JPGIMG_2507.JPG.9a4904ceafa595c64289b19498b18945.JPG.76e50c13b30e5c586938ee0bb41f18b3.JPGStromatoporoidSideDevColumbus.thumb.jpg.23766bc026d28c460f2faadc556b2400.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Leiolite is another form of microbe that I found on the net. Just a thought. To be honest I am not sure that all have been found yet either. I believe it's a microbial colony of some sort. Interesting!

40 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

StromatoporoidSideDevColumbus.thumb.jpg.23766bc026d28c460f2faadc556b2400.jpg

comparative picture from here

What is this picture of? Also I read it's rare for stromatolites to contain fossilized microbes.

47 minutes ago, Malone said:

What is this picture of?

It's a Middle Devonian stromatoporoid from Ohio. link

I don't know its name (genus / species), but our member Shamalama may know this. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

Could you take some 10x magnification photos of the region I chose previously (Sorry to make you work again.) ? :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for the pictures.
I'll go with stromatoporoid until it will be stated otherwise.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Stromatolite for me at this stage 

:popcorn:

Nice, interesting piece, it's a good find whatever it may turn out to be :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Here is an update, Mr. Kershaw reviewed the photos and replied as follows:

Dear Hank,

Excuse my small delay, I was travelling back from China yesterday.

Your closer pictures do look more like stromatoporoid than stromatolite, but I remain with basically the same problem that the structure can only really be fully seen in a cut block. Therefore I still can't confirm their identification, but if you can get the rock cut and polished then photographed or scanned, it should be possible to work it out. Maybe there is a geology department in your local university that might be able to cut it for you if you ask them?

Do let me know; I would like to give you the confirmation you seek, but as with many rocks they need to be prepared in order to reveal their details.

Best wishes

Steve Kershaw

So my question is should I cut the fossil and if so, where should I cut it?  Should it be split down the length or cut across with the lamina?  I have a full shop with slab and trim saws, as well as the ability to polish.  Would you cut the specimen or just leave it as is?

First figure what is the fossil's best side; I like the one in the third photo. Then cut down lengthwise leaving the best half uncut. Polish backside of the display half. You will have a really cool display piece even if we can not figure what it is. Using the other half, cut lengthwise again at a right angle. Cut again parallel to the laminations. Polish cut sides and photograph. Send to Kershaw.

You will have photographed three views: parallel to laminations, and two normal to laminations but each at a right angle to each other. Extra photos of polished areas will be helpful to send. Consider finding someone that can take photos with a microscope since the small details will help

Kershaw determine what this is.

Let us see your photos and read Kershaw's comments.

• I found this Informative 4

I cut and polished the specimen as you can see in the attached photos; I sent the photos to Mr. Kershaw for further review.  He responded tonight by email as follows:

Dear Hank,

Thanks for your efforts to get better pictures. I can see from the photos that this sample is badly recrystallised, and a lot of the structure is altered. I am pretty sure it is a stromatoporoid, I can see in some of the photos the indication of laminae and pillars. However, it is not a well-preserved sample, it has lost a lot of its original structural features. You can see the central region has a cavity lined by crystals, and there is partial formation of crystal-lined cavities in many places in the sample. It is a pity, but it happens often with stromatoporoids that their structure is altered badly.

I hope this is helpful.

Are you able to tell me the geological age of the specimen?

Best wishes

Steve

I really appreciate the thoughtful opinions everyone provided.  This forum and the people here are a treasure.  I have no depth of knowledge in this arena, thank you all for sharing yours.  Now, if you wouldn't mind, how would I determine the geological age of the specimen?  I have looked for geological maps of the area, but apparently I don't know what to look for.  This was found about two miles north of Golden Shores, Arizona, is there a method to determining the age based on the location and the type of specimen?

Cut.JPG

cut separated.JPG

IMG_2576.JPG

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

horizontal cut.JPG

10x 1.JPG

10x 2.JPG

10x 3.JPG

20x 1.JPG

20x 2.JPG

20x 3.JPG

Very neat! It looks like the pillars or columns kind of meander more than  the pictures I saw on the internet. I hope you continue to find as much information as possible, age,names, defined characteristics, etc. thank you for sharing this with me! I have learned very cool stuff in the course of investigating your specimen. To think this could have been one the earliest sources of oxygen. One of the earliest forms of life. It would be neat to examine it microscopically and see if there's fossilized critters in there. I don't know enough about microscopy to know what magnitude of magnification they would be visible.

Thanks for sending these photos to Kershaw. And thanks to professionals such as Kershaw that are willing to work with amateurs to help them ID their fossils in the name of public education. 

We we can make some

educated guess as to where this came from. If this came from old Colorado River terrace deposits, look to the source of most of the rocks: the Grand Canyon. 

The Mississippian Redwall Limestone has stromatoporoids as does the Devonian Temple Butte Limestone. 

There is also the possibility that this came from nearby Devonian and Mississippian formations and not from the erosion of the Grand Canyon. A look at an Arizona geological map may provide clues of the fossil origin.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/558797/