Innocentx

Trying to help an acquaintance out. Here is her self-collected fossil "It’s from Jasper county in Missouri, which is a mix of Mississippian and Pennsylvanian periods."

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

uniform pits.jpg

shape.jpg

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Looks like mold of encrusting bryozoan colony. Note many other molds (holes) in the rock which is probably carbonate or chert.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

10 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Looks like mold of encrustion bryozoan colony.

I don't recognize this bryozoan. Might you identify please? Thanks much.

Typo, should be "encrusting" bryozoan. I do not know species but the exterior impression  (3rd photo) with regularly spaced bumps reminds me of bryozoan that I have seen. 

IMG_0146ac.jpg

Photo above is Tabulipora sp. from eky.edu.

uniform pits.jpg

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

If I mentally subtract the carbonate/chert material then I would expect to see similar to what you have pictured above. For the most part, I do. What throws me off is that in your example above, the bumps appear to have formed on the outer surface of it, as it encrusted, not in the attachment zone. It would be great to discover it's identity. Could you help me with sources, that I might learn more?

Thank you.

To help identify it to the species is difficult (and beyond me) and requires one that has the internal structures present (yours is a mold) so that thin sections and peels can be made. The best thing to do is to find papers on the fossil bryozoan from that area using area formations as a search term. Take a look at Fruitbat's library: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/14728-fruitbats-pdf-library-table-of-contents/

Sorry but just to be clear, when you say this is a mold do you mean the carbonate/chert was deposited around (on top or over) the bryozoan at a later time?

The bryozoan was buried in sediment which later hardened. The bryozoan may have grown on hard ground. Then the bryozoan dissolved leaving an empty space, a mold.

I had never seen this type occurrence with bryozoans. Thank you very much.