A possible Meg?

Darko

Zdravo !

I got this tooth from a friend who is from the Netherlands.He told me that he bought it there and the man told him that he bought a meg tooth.Tho it's not whole specimen,but i'm looking for answers! If anyone can help,that would be much appreciated!

Screenshot_2018-04-20-21-18-20.png

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

I would go with Carcharodon hastalis. Does not look meg to Me, no serrations..

Yeah man,i think in the same way...Thanks tho :dinothumb::dinothumb:

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

I would go with Carcharodon hastalis. Does not look meg to Me, no serrations..

+1 on Isurus hastalis.

regards

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with ynot, though often the serrations on meg teeth are worn to nothing, I have a few examples I can post later. Still a very nice tooth!

1 minute ago, Jazfossilator said:

I agree with ynot, though often the serrations on meg teeth are worn to nothing, I have a few examples I can post later. Still a very nice tooth!

I would go with an upper anterior broad-form Cosmopolitodus/Carcharodon hastalis. The crown is too flat and broad for a meg, I fail to see any sign of a bourlette, and the striations lining the center is also kind of un-megalodon like.

• I found this Informative 2

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Not Meg however out of curiosity, please can you take a photo of the tooth straight from the top? Also a side angle like the third pic in the below? Thanks!

C-hastalis-LilloFm-03.jpg

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

1 hour ago, Jaimin013 said:

Not Meg however out of curiosity, please can you take a photo of the tooth straight from the top? Also a side angle like the third pic in the below? Thanks!

C-hastalis-LilloFm-03.jpg

I don't have the tooth yet.He has send me the tooth so i'm waiting for it.When it arrives i'll take some better pics,no problem!

1 minute ago, Darko said:

I don't have the tooth yet.He has send me the tooth so i'm waiting for it.When it arrives i'll take some better pics,no problem!

Thanks!

Thanks, that's an amazing tooth. I would go with Isurus hastalis/Cosmopolitodus hastalis/Carcharodon hastalis unless I find something to suggest different.

1 hour ago, Jaimin013 said:

Thanks, that's an amazing tooth. I would go with Isurus hastalis/Cosmopolitodus hastalis/Carcharodon hastalis unless I find something to suggest different.

Thank you for the info! Much appreciated ! 

On 21 April 2018 at 3:25 AM, Darko said:

Zdravo !

I got this tooth from a friend who is from the Netherlands.He told me that he bought it there and the man told him that he bought a meg tooth.Tho it's not whole specimen,but i'm looking for answers! If anyone can help,that would be much appreciated!

Screenshot_2018-04-20-21-18-20.png

Yup sure looks like a Mako, nice sized one too. Shame it wasn't complete but congrats.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

3 hours ago, indominus rex said:

Yup sure looks like a Mako, nice sized one too. Shame it wasn't complete but congrats.

Thanks!

Yeah,it's a bit shame but i like it in this shape.It's not every whole specimen the best specimen,this one proves different and i like it :)