LARGE Mammal Earbone

Shellseeker

I was out today, These are interesting times and interesting finds. Many, many goodies, a couple of large gator scutes, a jaw with no teeth that would be an ID candidate, capybara incisor, 5 or 6 Megs including a perfect baby meg, 2 plates of a juve Mammoth tooth, a small canine, and lots more goodies,

but I was most excited as soon as I spotted this... I have found llama, horse, porpoise, whale (both toothed and Baleen), and this is bigger by a lot compared to 1st 3 and equal in size to the whales. It is not Toothed, but maybe Baleen. 3x3x1 inches. BIG animal.

@Boesse @Harry Pristis

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

35 minutes ago, Malone said:

The patina is fantastic!

Agree, It is absolutely amazing how well preserved this bone is. Straight out of clay below 2 feet of gravel.

Additional info as we consider what beastie owns this bone. @PrehistoricFlorida had this 2 !!! inch mastodon ear bone up on ebay. 

s-l1600Mastodon2Inches.jpg.17e5301064f58c1896ce9a39a065d773.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Agree, It is absolutely amazing how well preserved this bone is. Straight out of clay below 2 feet of gravel.

Additional info as we consider what beastie owns this bone. @PrehistoricFlorida had this 2 !!! inch mastodon ear bone up on ebay. 

s-l1600Mastodon2Inches.jpg.17e5301064f58c1896ce9a39a065d773.jpg

Imagine the size of the q tip required to clean that ear!

Hey Jack, saw this last night and should have finished my post to say I like it-congrats!

I wish I had the expertise to say what the heck you got there but I don't. I have a number of whale type fragments and aside from the strange free form shape they also at least in the broken/fractured areas that very dense cherty/conchoidal fracture look to them like yours. I'm curious if the horse/camel stuff you have also shows that look/feature as well? I would guess they do simply due to the denseness/composition.

I'm also curious about the apparent rind/layering around the edge in the right and what that structure is...I wonder if thats just a preservation type of feature or something more diagnostic. Hoping one of the experts can add something definitive soon...Its very cool whatever it turns out to be! I'd love for someone to comment on what specific diagnostic features are preserved so that the photos can be labeled and used as reference. 

5adb118f0c8b2_Jacksunknown.jpg.3c6aa3eb803e3644fc5beda7a2fca16e.jpg

Regards, Chris 

3 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Hey Jack, saw this last night and should have finished my post to say I like it-congrats!

I wish I had the expertise to say what the heck you got there but I don't. I have a number of whale type fragments and aside from the strange free form shape they also at least in the broken/fractured areas that very dense cherty/conchoidal fracture look to them like yours. I'm curious if the horse/camel stuff you have also shows that look/feature as well? I would guess they do simply due to the denseness/composition.

I'm also curious about the apparent rind/layering around the edge in the right and what that structure is...I wonder if thats just a preservation type of feature or something more diagnostic. Hoping one of the experts can add something definitive soon...Its very cool whatever it turns out to be! I'd love for someone to comment on what specific diagnostic features are preserved so that the photos can be labeled and used as reference.

Regards, Chris 

Chris, Thanks for the excellent response...

Here are best threads on whale, horse/llama.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/27535-is-this-a-whale-ear-bone/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/26289-another-mammal-inner-ear-bone/

They are best threads because of the comments by experts:  @davehunt

More photos, at some moments I think it must be whale (3rd photo below), then switch to mammoth or bison...:headscratch:

IMG_1625blowup.jpg.576a61659bc61a5814257d05b657da75.jpgIMG_1626.jpg.7b77b8f87fcede4a5de02383369322a5.jpgIMG_1629Ear.jpg.9331caf95e9d1b0a871c2680d4a79891.jpgIMG_1630holes.jpg.3d1844736cfc0b027ba9791cf9f7068f.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Making Progress !!!

Visited a hunting friend and he had THIS earbone:

Then I found this on a jewelry website: 6 Inches identified as Mammoth earbone...

IMG_7648MammothEarBone.thumb.jpg.e795c79b304559434d41930de7adcd4a.jpg

Also on the Internet, found this on Wikipedia Commons,

5ae007985760e_Mammut_americanum_(American_mastodon_periotic_bone_-_ear_bone)_(Late_Pleistocene_Crawford_County_Ohio_USA)_1_(17162634220).thumb.jpg.0ff3aecf18995289506b7cdad67a8d7d.jpg

This last one identified as Mammut Americanus!!! and I believe 1) It is what I have found, 2) You can differentiate between Mastodon and Mammoth earbones, 3) I have learned multiple new things in the IdentificationSearch:yay-smiley-1:4) These are exceedingly rare. Peaple who have hunted the Peace River for decades either have never found one or would not recognize it if they did !

Jack

IMG_1705f.jpg

IMG_1706f.jpg

Pretty neat Jack! Yours is monsterly cool. I had looked at this reference for general purposes as I was curious, perhaps you did as well, but this is again out of my league but it certainly intrigues me. 

Morphological variation in the ear region of Pleistocene Elephantimorpha (Mammalia, Proboscidea) from central Texas

EG Ekdale - Journal of Morphology, 2011 - Wiley Online Library

You can download the pdf here...https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Eric_Ekdale/publication/49801000_Morphological_Variation_in_the_Ear_Region_of_Pleistocene_Elephantimorpha_Mammalia_Proboscidea_from_Central_Texas/links/5a79fd7caca2722e4df4eed5/Morphological-Variation-in-the-Ear-Region-of-Pleistocene-Elephantimorpha-Mammalia-Proboscidea-from-Central-Texas.pdf

Regards, Chris  

• I found this Informative 3

12 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Pretty neat Jack! Yours is monsterly cool. I had looked at this reference for general purposes as I was curious, perhaps you did as well, but this is again out of my league but it certainly intrigues me. 

Morphological variation in the ear region of Pleistocene Elephantimorpha (Mammalia, Proboscidea) from central Texas

EG Ekdale - Journal of Morphology, 2011 - Wiley Online Library

You can download the pdf here...https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Eric_Ekdale/publication/49801000_Morphological_Variation_in_the_Ear_Region_of_Pleistocene_Elephantimorpha_Mammalia_Proboscidea_from_Central_Texas/links/5a79fd7caca2722e4df4eed5/Morphological-Variation-in-the-Ear-Region-of-Pleistocene-Elephantimorpha-Mammalia-Proboscidea-from-Central-Texas.pdf

Regards, Chris  

Saved the pdf , Chris.  Thank you..

It is just a great learning experience... Here I knew little or nothing about Proboscidean ear structures, then a week or so ago, I find one, start searching and there is actually a lot of photos and material available.

What  was missing was my interest and focus...

Hey Jack, well something rare and uncommon can get us all going. I know I get way overzealous chasing things but have fun doing so--sometimes I go into a ditch but eventually get back on the road usually with others help.  

Since we are talking about ear bones, its been almost 2 years to the day that I was chasing a similar unknown ID. With Bobby's help and Dr. Jorge Velez-Juarbe I was able to tentatively ID mine as a dugongid earbone fragment. I found out during that search that most dugongid species periotics dont even have diagnostic features. This one might be Nanosiren. Oh well, I did learn a few things as well along that journey. Still not proficient with trying to orient one properly for photographic purposes...LOL!

5ae11cd488366_UnknownPeriotic1thru3.thumb.jpg.045f5b6079b3b0d81f5c87fe36a9735d.jpg5ae11cd579131_UnknownPeriotic4thru6.thumb.jpg.43ae18ee93227f0e10c8526654722afa.jpg

Continued successful periotic/bulla and all other hunting! 

Regards, Chris