Peace River find

LynH

I found this little mystery in the Peace River. It is approximately a 1 inch square and very thin—I was thinking it may be some kind of osteoderm. I am hoping someone here can help ID.

E8AC1A46-E298-4271-839A-5ED4FDBAC649.jpeg

648F19FB-1BAE-4D7B-A9CC-30DCC0AF3894.jpeg

D98E60BE-F328-4DC0-B762-16566E017483.jpeg

I would say for sure turtle shell fragment. Crocodile scutes have bigger holes and look different so I don’t think it is from a croc.

Not an expert though. Lets see what the others say.

Regards

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Turtle shell

Agree.  The pattern on the last photo is diagnostic, but someone with lots more knowledge of turtle shell would have to ID.  Softshell is a possibility.

Do a google search of "fossil turtle softshell"  and look at the images.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

We do find a lot of softshell turtle at this site but this is much thinner and the pattern is very compressed and tiny. Maybe from a juvenile? I did a google search as recommended and found nothing similar. Thank you for your help!

9F50B591-645B-48E8-B5C0-1B90BB80641C.jpeg

C36E5BA2-7D63-45CF-9644-EA337B80C275.jpeg

1 hour ago, LynH said:

We do find a lot of softshell turtle at this site but this is much thinner and the pattern is very compressed and tiny. Maybe from a juvenile? I did a google search as recommended and found nothing similar. Thank you for your help!

As indicated a possibility, I do not know enough about diversity of turtle shell, how it changes between juves and adults, types of fossil turtle endemic to your locations, etc, etc

We are hoping a person with more experience and knowledge chimes in....:popcorn:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Archived