rapp Creek hunting

Rowboater

Returned from Singapore (where I gave a young teacher my collected teeth for the last few years).  The area where I had been hunting had been covered by a sand-fall.  I worked a bit trying to uncover, hoping for some interesting treasures but only came away with the "usual" and the small teeth were more broken and more slanted to triangular bull/ dusky triangular than the more common sand tiger 'spikes'. Some round drum bones, imperfect ecphora, skate teeth and small turtle(?) pieces.  Nothing exciting, but good to be out again.4-20-18-teeth.thumb.jpg.636faa0bb40e59de5348430c14ef9808.jpg  

• I found this Informative 1

You forgot to mention that really nice Lincoln Memorial penny, now thats cool!!!!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Glad you were able to get out!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks all!  made another trip, number-wise better but still no cowshark teeth (and only one angel shark tooth each trip) or anything big, but more spikes.  Did find a nice unserrated triangular tooth (guessing a small mako?) Tried to scan most of what I found; never recognize many bits and pieces.  Please inform me if you see something "important"!

5adf680ca60b5_DocFile(1).thumb.jpg.25a700ccff63071011109378d96c4830.jpg5adf68159c8a0_DocFile(2).thumb.jpg.19aabc8790ceaf5f8dd0c1cea0504b5c.jpg

Question: I've tentatively identified the "large" smooth, non-serrated tooth (top) as a broad mako (?)  does that seem correct?  And the two smaller teeth at the top (also no serrations), are these also small mako teeth?  There is another smaller to the left without serrations.

The rest of the triangular teeth have fine serrations throughout the tooth or at least have some serrations near the base of the blade (even when worn), and I usually call them dusky or bull sharks.  

The small tooth in the third is not a split tooth, but rather a sand tiger symphyseal tooth (wish I could find more cow shark symphyseals!)

4-24-18-side1.thumb.jpg.aa31bf7b8ffdeb826ae6dbe6bf062996.jpg4-24-18-side2.thumb.jpg.4d290db880839b763fd114e89d5e6e9a.jpg4-24-18-few-teeth.thumb.jpg.c38ccfc00b334d3971feb9f682fb4060.jpg

Went out again, but under the weather (pollen?)  Decided after my first deep digging that I didn't have that much energy, so instead walked about digging and straining tailings from where others had been hunting.  Worked surprisingly well (guess many were old and focused on big teeth and big screens).  No cowshark teeth and only one angel shark tooth (which I lost), but generally no different than when I work much harder.  A very nice skate stinger, lots of turtle bones, three hollow teeth(?) near the drum bladder 'teeth'.  Lots of broken (when young, a lot of kids threw the broken ones down in disgust) and very few cusplets on roots. 

4-28-2018-teeth.thumb.jpg.d1bed2d1cfaebe7e7d7d3efc3ecf5c75.jpgAlso a small piece of skin(?) near the penny. Will try some better photos under ID section. 

Found the tip to the stingray stinger, probably should glue together.  Also shows the skate teeth (still haven't found a plate) and some broken steinkerns

skate.thumb.jpg.fcb157489716cad7f2dd974eebb03bbf.jpg

Really cool finds :dinothumb: 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils