Jaimin013

I found this post two hours ago, and my jaw dropped so hard it is probably dislocated. 

All of your specimens are simply stunning. Some of them i havent even heard of until today. I would kill for just one of them.

Please keep on posting. Show us more of your collections. 

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, lexandc said:

I found this post two hours ago, and my jaw dropped so hard it is probably dislocated. 

All of your specimens are simply stunning. Some of them i havent even heard of until today. I would kill for just one of them.

Hi! Thanks! I've been posting since last February and my collection of fossils has been growing faster than I thought that it would when I first started collecting. 

I will definitely keep posting and hopefully I will get some more fossils soon! Do you primarily collect Trilobites or do you have any other types of fossils in your collection?

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

6 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Hi! Thanks! I've been posting since last February and my collection of fossils has been growing faster than I thought that it would when I first started collecting. 

I will definitely keep posting and hopefully I will get some more fossils soon! Do you primarily collect Trilobites or do you have any other types of fossils in your collection?

I collect other fossils too. I have 2 Carcharodontosaurus teeth, a Spinosaurus tooth, some shark teeth from different species. Pretty common stuff. 

I have recently acquired a partial jaw of a Mosasauridea, seller said it was a juvenile Mosasaur, but i disagreed, i am thinking it could be Halisaurus. I will post some pictures to Fossil Identification section after i received it. I could use some experts' opinion. 

On 20/09/2019 at 3:17 AM, lexandc said:

I collect other fossils too. I have 2 Carcharodontosaurus teeth, a Spinosaurus tooth, some shark teeth from different species. Pretty common stuff. 

I have recently acquired a partial jaw of a Mosasauridea, seller said it was a juvenile Mosasaur, but i disagreed, i am thinking it could be Halisaurus. I will post some pictures to Fossil Identification section after i received it. I could use some experts' opinion. 

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing pictures when you post on the identification page! :)

Here's my updated photo of most of my fossil collection. Need to put all the labels back in the riker and create a few new ones for the most recent fossils.

20190921_183825.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

17 minutes ago, Abstraktum said:

The amount of envy I have is immeasurable. :envy: Quality stuff and especially all the Theropod teeth are just awesome! :wub:

Thank you so much for your kind words! It's been really challenging collecting over the past year and a bit but it's been worth it! I've spent hours, days and months trying to find cool fossils! Requires a great deal of patience! 

Amazing collection!! congrats :) just wondering how did you get that tyrannosaur tooth from the dinosaur park formation?

1 hour ago, dinosaur man said:

Amazing collection!! congrats :) just wondering how did you get that tyrannosaur tooth from the dinosaur park formation?

Thanks alot!! I have a friend who knew someone that found some and was selling. Unfotunately I don't actually have direct contact with the person who found the teeth. I was really lucky to have gotten them as they are really rare. I also got a scollard formation rex tooth with it from Drumheller which was super cool!

Yeah I like Alberta dinosaurs and been trying to get material from Alberta ever since I went to Western Canada last year but it’s hard to get and rare like you said 

4 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

Yeah I like Alberta dinosaurs and been trying to get material from Alberta ever since I went to Western Canada last year but it’s hard to get and rare like you said 

It is difficult sometimes I feel that it's just down to pure luck! You just never know what could happen in the future. Good luck and possibly try to contact someone who is from the states who regularly used to get some in the past and they may have some in their private collection or know of someone who could potentially sell one. Find out who has talked and researched about the tooth that you are trying to find that's often a good place to start. I doubt I'll ever see another dinosaur tooth from Canada again that is available for sale and I'm just glad to have found the ones that I currently have.

On 9/19/2019 at 5:07 AM, lexandc said:

You will need to invest in a chinstrap. There are many more posts that will have that effect on you and we don't want anyone to get hurt. We all bought ours at Al's Chinstrap Store in Guy's Mills, Pa., but he went out of business when he retired earlier this year. If you find a supplier that sells a good quality product at a good price, please let us know. Many of us are using old worn out ones and are in dire need of replacements. :heartylaugh:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 months later...

Hi @Troodon 

I forgot to ask you about this tooth. Do you see an axial twist on this Madagascan tooth (currently identified as Eusauropoda indet. in my collection) like a Brachiosaurid or is it just my imagination? Just thought that I would ask as someone PM'd me about it and thought it had similarities and I also compared it to the one in your collection.

Rooted Bothriospondylus-resize.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Hi @Troodon 

I forgot to ask you about this tooth. Do you see an axial twist on this Madagascan tooth (currently identified as Eusauropoda indet. in my collection) like brachiosaurus or is it just my imagination?

where is it from in Madagascar?

12 minutes ago, Troodon said:

where is it from in Madagascar?

Kamoro, Madagascar however not sure how accurate this is as the seller sometimes gets the location wrong as they get it from their source in Madasgascar who finds them. Kamoro is within the Mahajanga Province though and there is the Kamoro river that runs through that Mahajanga basin but that's all my research can find. There is just too much unknown surrounding teeth from Madagascar and not a lot of research so it's hard to tell and is a shame :(

I also found this article which mentions Kamoro and Brachiosaurid material but I have not read into the book in detail just from an initial google. By the looks of it they can't say that the material found is anything more than Sauropoda and Neosauropoda.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ulvmCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA476&lpg=PA476&dq=Kamoro+madagascar+sauropod&source=bl&ots=H4OBqCSMb3&sig=ACfU3U2mz-bVlNywLItx1XE61UV-BrU8Tg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-k4m5sMTmAhUKAcAKHYQ4BwI4ChDoATAOegQIChAB#v=onepage&q=Kamoro madagascar sauropod&f=false

Well here is a map if you can locate Kamoro you can get close.  Need your tooth to be Isalo IIIb (Sakaraha Formation)

madg.thumb.JPG.e73e4837e982ab99dc5895aedc3521c8.JPG

If it is the following can be said:

Bindellini and Sassos most recent paper (2019) on Titanosauriformes of the Jurassic of Madagascar identifies morph types and your tooth looks like J3.  Assigns that morph type as most probable as Brachiosauridae or basal Titanosauriformes, tentative taxon attribution Lapparentosaurus madagascariensis.

Hi @Troodon Thanks for the extremely useful information. I have quickly compared Google Maps against an image that I have found on the internet which closely matches that of Google Maps (there was a lot of inconsistencies in where the locations of places were placed on a lot of the maps that I could find by googling) so I used Google Maps as a baseline as they are generally more accurate (one would think!). This would place the area where Kamoro is around the yellow dot in the map below. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xo5whlhH-1mQurMwKL1kMN6nNy6cL2OH&usp=sharing

In the second set of pictures you can see how close Ambondromamy is to Kamoro (separated by the yellow line - Route Nationale 4 highway) therefore the formation could well be the Sakaraha Formation although still difficult to conclusively say. I've added Berivotra and Boriziny (French: Port-Bergé) which appear on the map that you have posted below so we can compare to try to identify likely formation(s). 

5dfcf77be3e73_2019-12-2015_48_47-Greenshot.thumb.jpg.188508948d65e240c75c116f77a92e3a.jpg

madg.JPG.8d09d964bf20d6d962eb7b0ab5fd080d.thumb.jpg.4fe4bdb1f89b69c2a9ea2fad1f8d8b13.jpg

Kamoro is it a town, city or what I always thought a river.   This is alot like material from South America where several different age exposures are close to one another and the specific locality get lost during all the handoffs from digger to broker to dealer to collector.  If you look at the Fig 1 map the different age exposures are pretty close and figuring it out exactly is going to be difficult.   The tooth is an Brachiosauridae, for the reasons you stated so the only question is where is from and do you want to use the tentative taxon attribution Lapparentosaurus madagascariensis?   I think you can make the following assumptions, which is bad, but most of the material sold is from the Isalo IIIb (Sakaraha fm), the locality is close using the maps and the tooth compares very well to those in the paper so using L. madagascariensis is not out of line.  The alternative is to call it an indeterminate Brachiosauridae which it is.  

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Kamoro is it a town, city or what I always thought a river.   This is alot like material from South America where several different age exposures are close to one another and the specific locality get lost during all the handoffs from digger to broker to dealer to collector.  If you look at the Fig 1 map the different age exposures are pretty close and figuring it out exactly is going to be difficult.   The tooth is an Brachiosauridae, for the reasons you stated so the only question is where is from and do you want to use the tentative taxon attribution Lapparentosaurus madagascariensis?   I think you can make the following assumptions, which is bad, but most of the material sold is from the Isalo IIIb (Sakaraha fm), the locality is close using the maps and the tooth compares very well to those in the paper so using L. madagascariensis is not out of line.  The alternative is to call it an indeterminate Brachiosauridae which it is.  

I think you are correct that Kamoro is a river, I have just zoomed into the area that was on the maps and there is a river but you have to zoom in really close. From afar it just looks like an area of land. It's a very big river by the looks of it! (See all of the points mapped below which is the path of the Kamoro) and seems like it likely flows through various age exposures below the large area of Cretaceous deposits in green shown in pic you posted. It then flows into the Betsiboka River near Ambato-Boina (red pointer on map) which is even larger river which then eventually reaches the Mozambique Channel (gap between the point near Mahajanga and the area near Madirovolo).

5dfd10180b5ce_Kamororiver.png.17152fc7f76e1e0fdf678a08e54ef0e9.png

20191220_195039.thumb.jpg.3c8a668f0573622f3cd925881d1f3061.jpg

With regards to ID it certainly does make it difficult to ascertain as you have mentioned the exposures are so close together and some are even mixed between each other in patches! I wouldn't be confident with the tentative taxon as there are just too many unknowns so I think I would prefer to call my tooth an indeterminate Brachiosauridae.

I have just visited your post in September (I must have missed this and linked below in case anyone is interested and wants to try to reclassify their teeth). I have to agree that the tooth I have looks rather similar to J3 (referred to as a basal brachiosaurid or at least a titanosauriform). Thanks again for your help! Really interesting and you learn so much by researching.

geosciences-09-00498.pdf

about 3,3 MB

(postcranials)

Geosciences 2019, 9(12), 498; https://doi.org/10.3390/geosciences9120498

New Information on the Madagascan Middle Jurassic Sauropod Lapparentosaurus madagascariensis
by Miky Lova Tantely Raveloson ,Neil D. L. Clark Armand H. Rasoamiaramana

(post edited AFTER Jaimin "like"",BTW)

And: that's a pretty nifty collection you have,Jaimin 

56 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

geosciences-09-00498.pdf

about 3,3 MB

(postcranials)

Geosciences 2019, 9(12), 498; https://doi.org/10.3390/geosciences9120498

New Information on the Madagascan Middle Jurassic Sauropod Lapparentosaurus madagascariensis
by Miky Lova Tantely Raveloson ,Neil D. L. Clark Armand H. Rasoamiaramana

(post edited AFTER Jaimin "like"",BTW)

And: that's a pretty nifty collection you have,Jaimin 

Thanks and thanks for linking the articles!

On 10/26/2018 at 3:25 AM, Jaimin013 said:

Alioramus remotus

Theropod
Late Cretaceous
Nogon Tsav Formation
Bayankhongor, Mongolia

40mm partially rooted tooth

20181026_080048.jpg20181026_080145.jpg

20181026_080357.jpg20181026_080253.jpg20181026_080515.jpg20181026_082216.jpg

20181025_182638.jpg20181025_182515.jpg20181026_082152.jpg

Some HQ photos of the tooth sent from the seller. The colour of the tooth when held in hand in daylight is a lot lighter.

8428-2894.jpg8428-2895.jpg8428-2893.jpg8428-2892.jpg

@hxmendoza You explained to me that if the tooth is not proportionately robust and more bladelike than its probably Alioramus. But if robust (particularly lingual to labial sides) then it would be a rearward Tarbosaurus tooth. Looking at the pics what are your opinions on the ID? I am not sure what the lingual and labial sides are so apologies, I need to brush up on my terminology! It looks blade like to me...

Some clearer photos of this tooth in direct sunlight. Although the serrations are worn in direct sunlight you can make them out clearer and can see the detail in the surface of the tooth.

20181027_101743.jpg20181027_101457.jpg

20181027_101602.jpg20181027_101529.jpg20181027_102035.jpg20181027_101645.jpg

20181027_102049.jpg

20181027_102113.jpg

20181027_110712.jpg

Incredible!

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff: