Jaimin013

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Most splendid, diplodocid and Allosaurus, two of the classics.

Lovely teeth as well. :)

Thanks @Tidgy's Dad! I really love them they are really nice!

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Fantastic collection of new teeth. All of them are very beautiful teeth. I would also say the sauropod tooth is Diplodocus not Apatasaurus. Regardless is it a very large and beautiful tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Got an update on what the display looks like now? :) 

Hi Matt, not yet..i am still trying to figure out how I can display the fossils. What I am thinking is buying a big sized riker case (20" x 14" x 2") and putting all of the teeth together. Perhaps by placing them together based on size, location or a mix of both. The only issue that I have is the Riker that I want is 2 inches in height so some of my smaller teeth like my rooted nano, alioramus etc move around so I may need to put an extra bit of cushion at the bottom of the teeth to pad the existing foam that is already there. For the even smaller teeth like the kileskus tooth, French theropod etc I have moved them with other similar sized teeth to a floating mount.

10 hours ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Fantastic collection of new teeth. All of them are very beautiful teeth. I would also say the sauropod tooth is Diplodocus not Apatasaurus. Regardless is it a very large and beautiful tooth.

Thanks! Would love to see the teeth that you have in your collection some time and who knows re: the sauropod tooth just wish I could know for certain!

7 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Hi Matt, not yet..i am still trying to figure out how I can display the fossils. What I am thinking is buying a big sized riker case (20" x 14" x 2") and putting all of the teeth together. Perhaps by placing them together based on size, location or a mix of both. The only issue that I have is the Riker that I want is 2 inches in height so some of my smaller teeth like my rooted nano, alioramus etc move around so I may need to put an extra bit of cushion at the bottom of the teeth to pad the existing foam that is already there. For the even smaller teeth like the kileskus tooth, French theropod etc I have moved them with other similar sized teeth to a floating mount.

Hmm maybe you can gain some inspiration from what I do, but I use rikers as well.  For the small teeth that don't fit inside the riker and slide around, I place them into gem jars and either place them inside the riker or right outside.  Just an idea :) 

1 minute ago, Runner64 said:

Hmm maybe you can gain some inspiration from what I do, but I use rikers as well.  For the small teeth that don't fit inside the riker and slide around, I place them into gem jars and either place them inside the riker or right outside.  Just an idea :) 

Can you send me some pics on PM of what your setup looks like if that is possible? I need some ideas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just an update below as of 18th December 2018 on the display of the collection of my fossils. I brought myself the largest riker available, labelled most of my teeth and placed them all together. This is all still a work in progress and it is likely to change. I haven't arranged the teeth by location or size but I will be re-arranging some teeth. The second tooth should really be in the centre of it all and perhaps the other teeth around it or the big rex tooth needs to be placed before the Torvosaurus however still bouncing around ideas in my head.

Some teeth like the Baryonyx and some croc teeth towards the end still need labels printed. The croc teeth probably won't stay in the display case too long as I am thinking of other ways to display these separately. For the really small teeth (Kileskus, French Theropod, Baryonyx, c.f. Spinostropheus etc.) I have placed them together in a floating mount as they are all around the same size but again these are going to be moved into a larger floating mount and labelled like the other teeth. The floating mounts will then sit beside the rikers or something. I also have smaller teeth like the Coelophysis teeth in separate cases which aren't shown in this picture (for these teeth I may buy an additional floating mount). For some of the larger fossils like the Iguanodon jaw section and my Megladon tooth, I am going to soon buy stands to display them upright.

The labels are sticky so the backing can be peeled off and stuck to the spun white polyester lining inside the Riker. If I start running out of space, I may reduce the size of the font and re-print some labels in smaller sizes as there are some which are currently too big like the label for the Eusauropoda indet. sauropod tooth. To reduce the size of the labels I may also limit the description of them to just Species, Formation and Location and perhaps add a bit of additional information if the tooth is for example a theropod indet. I shouldn't really need to include the age of the tooth on the labels as this can very easily be looked up when you have the Formation and Location. I also need to change some of the wording on the labels of some teeth like the Suchomimus as I used the one that was provided when I acquired the tooth. I may also need to change the classification of some teeth.

Currently I don't have the space in my room or display cabinet to put this riker in however I am just making the use of the space that I have available. I am hoping to get a place of my own soon and when I do I will can buy a nice display shelf to house my fossils with all the additional touches such as lighting, pictures etc.

IMG_4903_new1.jpg

Edit as of 19th December 2018: Repositioned some of the teeth, included some additonal labelling and changed the size of some labels (see below). The two smaller teeth without labels are croc teeth.

20181219_215023_edit.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

7 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Splendid!

That looks really nice! :)

Thanks so much! I'm extremely happy that I changed up my setup and started to label teeth.

Very nice! You have some really nice teeth. Dinosaur teeth look very impressive when displayed together like this don't they. This is what got me started in the first place. I walked past a jewelry store in the late 90's and they had a riker mount just like this full of dinosaur teeth displayed in one of their windows. I had never seen a real dinosaur tooth before. I was so impressed that I started to do a little research on buying a dinosaur tooth and well, the rest is history. 

• I found this Informative 3

17 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Hi All,

Just an update on the display of the collection of my fossils. I brought myself the largest riker available, labelled most of my teeth and placed them all together. This is all still a work in progress and it is likely to change. I haven't arranged the teeth by location or size but I will be re-arranging some teeth. The second tooth should really be in the centre of it all and perhaps the other teeth around it or the big rex tooth needs to be placed before the Torvosaurus however still bouncing around ideas in my head.

Some teeth like the Baryonyx and some croc teeth towards the end still need labels printed. The croc teeth probably won't stay in the display case too long as I am thinking of other ways to display these separately. For the really small teeth (Kileskus, French Theropod, Baryonyx, c.f. Spinostropheus etc.) I have placed them together in a floating mount as they are all around the same size but again these are going to be moved into a larger floating mount and labelled like the other teeth. The floating mounts will then sit beside the rikers or something. I also have smaller teeth like the Coelophysis teeth in separate cases which aren't shown in this picture (for these teeth I may buy an additional floating mount). For some of the larger fossils like the Iguanodon jaw section and my Megladon tooth, I am going to soon buy stands to display them upright.

The labels are sticky so the backing can be peeled off and stuck to the spun white polyester lining inside the Riker. If I start running out of space, I may reduce the size of the font and re-print some labels in smaller sizes as there are some which are currently too big like the label for the Eusauropoda indet. sauropod tooth. To reduce the size of the labels I may also limit the description of them to just Species, Formation and Location and perhaps add a bit of additional information if the tooth is for example a theropod indet. I shouldn't really need to include the age of the tooth on the labels as this can very easily be looked up when you have the Formation and Location. I also need to change some of the wording on the labels of some teeth like the Suchomimus as I used the one that was provided when I acquired the tooth. I may also need to change the classification of some teeth.

Currently I don't have the space in my room or display cabinet to put this riker in however I am just making the use of the space that I have available. I am hoping to get a place of my own soon and when I do I will can buy a nice display shelf to house my fossils with all the additional touches such as lighting, pictures etc.

IMG_4903_new1.jpg

Love this display! What are the 5 teeth on the bottom right?

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Very nice! You have some really nice teeth. Dinosaur teeth look very impressive when displayed together like this don't they. This is what got me started in the first place. I walked past a jewelry store in the late 90's and they had a riker mount just like this full of dinosaur teeth displayed in one of their windows. I had never seen a real dinosaur tooth before. I was so impressed that I started to do a little research on buying a dinosaur tooth and well, the rest is history. 

Thanks! I really think it works placing teeth together in the same riker and looks so much nicer. Plus if people look at it it's easier to compare teeth from different types of species. Unfortunately my story of how I got interested in dinosaur teeth is not as interesting as yours! I loved dinosaurs as a kid and didn't think fossils were available to the public and that they were "only in museums". My story is I was looking at meteorites online and came across a website that was selling dinosaur egg shells from a saurpod which got me thinking. What is the most iconic dinosaur? Trex..well let me see if I can find any dinosaur fossils from trex and I came across a seller on the popular auction selling a trex bone and megladon tooth and then I eventually discovered that this seller also had a trex teeth. After I brought my first rex tooth I came across fossilforum in around March 2018, signed up and posted in the ID section to check for the legitimacy of the tooth. Ever since then I have been collecting dinosaur teeth from all kinds of locations and teeth belonging different species. I am relatively new to collecting dinosaur teeth/fossils in general and have only been collecting since early in the year however I have managed to build my collection to this point by building contacts and I still have a long way to go and I will be trying to make new contacts going forwards. Researching about dinosaurs and fossils in general is very time consuming however when you discover a source for dinosaur fossils it's worth the effort. Let's see what the future holds for my collection! :D

6 hours ago, Masp said:

Love this display! What are the 5 teeth on the bottom right?

Thanks! Sorry I just re-read your original comment and have changed the IDs! @Masp The bottom five teeth to the right in the floating mount are as follows:

Top row - left to right

- Tetanurae indet. (Possibly cf. Spinostropheus gautieri) - Tiouran Formation, Marraba, Agadez Region, Niger

- Dromaeosaurid (Described by the seller as Nuthetes destructor) - Champblanc-Chevres, France

- Kileskus aristotocus - Itat Formation, Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia

Bottom row - left to right

- Baryonyx walkeri - Brook Bay, Isle of Wight, UK (4th and 5th teeth)

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Great collection of teeth Jamie ,very impressive.  :ighappy: :dinothumb:

Thanks!! So happy I sorted out the display and labelled the teeth.

Just now, Jaimin013 said:

Thanks!! So happy I sorted out the display and labelled the teeth.

Yes definitely and you done a great job. Labelling or record keeping is a necessity.  :dinothumb:

8 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yes definitely and you done a great job. Labelling or record keeping is a necessity.  :dinothumb:

When you get a display case like this and put all of the teeth in one riker it feels like a mini museum of teeth compressed into a single display which looks really cool. You get a real satisfaction when arranging and labelling the teeth as the effort it has taken to collect them all is finally being showcased in a manner that the fossils deserve to be displayed and it allows you to show how wonderful and fascinating the fossils are. You sometimes don't appreciate fossils when they are all over the place and tend to appreciate some fossils less over time when you get to a point you have so many fossils! Now that they are all together it helps to put things into perspective and you start appreciating each and everyone one of them.

4 hours ago, ynot said:

Looks very nice displayed like that.

Lots of nice teeth too.:thumbsu:

Thanks alot really appreciate the comments on the display. I think although I have mixed different species from different location it still looks really cool. Maybe when my collection expands to a point when it gets really big I can rearrange by location or classification like some of the more experienced collectors have done.

I haven't been on the forum in a while but that is one amazing collection. I especially like the Afrovenator tooth.

15 hours ago, Carcharodontosaurus said:

I haven't been on the forum in a while but that is one amazing collection. I especially like the Afrovenator tooth.

Thanks! Yes the preservation on it is something quite different compared to other teeth in my collection. I like the white colour of the tooth and don't see many like it of other species of dinosaur teeth! I've seen other peoples Afrovenator teeth on the forum and theirs almost look pearl white which is incredibly nice.

Outstanding collection :drool: Congrats :ighappy:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

1 hour ago, belemniten said:

Outstanding collection :drool: Congrats :ighappy:

Hi Sebastian, thanks so much! The collection as it is currently displayed and a few other fossils not shown in the pic is a year worth of collecting. It's been a lot of work finding these but very fun at the same time!