Jaimin013

Hi everyone on Fossil Forum,

I am pretty new to fossil collection but I have decided to post what I have currently collected and will continue to update this page with new fossils that I acquire over time. I am now looking to acquire rarer teeth now!

Details of Specimen:

Triceratops Tooth
Hell Creek Formation, Carter County, Montana
Late Cretaceous Period  (65 Million Years Old)
Measurements: 1.5 inches long x 3/4 inch wide x5/8 inch thick
Weight: 8.9 Grams
No restoration at all. all natural specimen. I love the way this looks and its huge!

20180415_143231-.jpg

20180415_143130-.jpg

20180421_142015-.jpg

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 2

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Tyrannosaurus Rex

Previously posted in another thread

20180317_171048.jpg

20180317_171107.jpg

20180317_171111.jpg

20180317_171243.jpg

20180317_171311.jpg

20180317_171137.jpg

20180317_170532.jpg

Edited by Jaimin013
Link to previous post
  • I found this Informative 11
  • Enjoyed 1

Very nice indeed I do like your Ceratopsian tooth. A great way to start a collection with two of the most iconic dinosaurs of all . I like your style. 

• I found this Informative 2

Most likely Nanotyrannus tooth looking at the base but could be Rex..The bottom is more square than circular so not diagnostic for Rex however it is probably an anterior maxillary canine.

Location: From the Hell Creek formation, Powder River County, Montana USA
The tooth was collected around 2011

20180420_171539-.jpg

20180420_171712-.jpg

20180420_171756-.jpg

20180420_171813-.jpg

20180420_171930-.jpg

20180420_172006-.jpg

• I found this Informative 13

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

Very nice indeed I do like your Ceratopsian tooth. A great way to start a collection with two of the most iconic dinosaurs of all . I like your style. 

Thanks I absolutely loved Triceratops as a kid! That and the tall ones like Diplodocus and the armored Ankylosaurus

1 minute ago, Jaimin013 said:

Thanks I absolutely loved Triceratops as a kid! That and the tall ones like Diplodocus and the armored Ankylosaurus

I still do , fantastic creatures. :dinothumb:

Nice crown on that Ceratopsian tooth not sure you can 100% describe it as Triceratops.  No question thats a Rex tooth.

@hxmendoza  Hey what do you think of that last tooth.  Could be Rex maxillary fat enough

• I found this Informative 4

Megladon Tooth ~ 5 inches in size

SIZE :       12.25  x  2.5  x  10 cm    approx.

Always good to add in a Megladon tooth into the mix of a collection as they are incredible!

s-l1600-12.jpg

s-l1600-13.jpg

s-l1600-16.jpg

s-l1600-14.jpg

s-l1600-15.jpg

s-l1600-17.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Bone collected in Hell Creek, Montana. The individual I acquired this from says it is a T-Rex but bones with preservation like this (and bones in across the board) are so hard to identify and you are pretty much taking the word of the collector. I do not recommend anyone buying a bone unless they know what they are looking for and can be 100% sure of what it comes from. This is the only bone that I will have in my collection and it was one of my first purchases so at the time of buying I wasn't very knowledgeable. Since having read posts on this forum, I have definitely been more careful not to impulse buy! Bone doesn't really look like any distinguishable part of a Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton but would be curious as to what more knowledgeable people on this forum think.

Tyrannosaurus Rex / TREX  Bone

Size:  11  x  4  x  4  cm  approx.
Weight :  186 grams

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600-10.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

36 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice crown on that Ceratopsian tooth not sure you can 100% describe it as Triceratops.  No question thats a Rex tooth.

@hxmendoza  Hey what do you think of that last tooth.  Could be Rex maxillary fat enough

Thanks! I'm curious as to which other Ceratopsian's this could be from?

Absolutely stunning collection:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

32 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Bone collected in Hell Creek, Montana. The individual I acquired this from says it is a T-Rex but bones with preservation like this (and bones in across the board) are so hard to identify and you are pretty much taking the word of the collector. I do not recommend anyone buying a bone unless they know what they are looking for and can be 100% sure of what it comes from. This is the only bone that I will have in my collection and it was one of my first purchases so at the time of buying I wasn't very knowledgeable. Since having read posts on this forum, I have definitely been more careful not to impulse buy! Bone doesn't really look like any distinguishable part of a Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton but would be curious as to what more knowledgeable people on this forum think.

Tyrannosaurus Rex / TREX  Bone

Good assesment and caution to new collectors.  The only way to really know a bone fragment is from a specific species is to have collected it from a quarry with bones that are identifiable.

34 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Thanks! I'm curious as to which other Ceratopsian's this could be from?

There are currently 3 large bodied Ceratopsian described in the Hell Creek that most Ceratopsian paleontologists agree with Torosaurus latus,  Triceratops horridus and T. prorsus.  There are a couple of other big skulls that some claim are a new species but currently are indeterminate.  Just look at the large number of Ceratopsians in the Campanian deposits in North America so its not impossible to see more but currently it's 3 and my guess it will remain that way for a while.

• I found this Informative 9

Thought to be from Coelophysis bauri however as @Troodon has mentioned in one of my previous Coelophysis teeth posts, it can be very difficult to identify and would need a closer look. I learnt that in the 2007 study "A critical re-evaluation of the LateTriassic dinosaur taxa of North America"  by  Sterling J. Nesbitt et al. assigns most of that type of material from the Bull Canyon as Coelophysoidea indet., Coelophysis sp. or  Archosauria indet.

Closer photos in another one of my threads here if interested (pre-warning: there are a load of pictures haha!): 

20180421_154734-.jpg

20180421_154739-.jpg

20180421_154743-.jpg

20180421_154801.jpg

Edited by Jaimin013
link to previous post on Coelophysis bauri teeth
  • I found this Informative 8

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Good assesment and caution to new collectors.  The only way to really know a bone fragment is from a specific species is to have collected it from a quarry with bones that are identifiable.

There are currently 3 large bodied Ceratopsian described in the Hell Creek that most Ceratopsian paleontologists agree with Torosaurus latus,  Triceratops horridus and T. prorsus.  There are a couple of other big skulls that some claim are a new species but currently are indeterminate.  Just look at the large number of Ceratopsians in the Campanian deposits in North America so its not impossible to see more but currently it's 3 and my guess it will remain that way for a while.

Thanks! This is extremely useful information to know. I will definitely research more on this.

Really nie collection! Love the T. rex teeth. :)

Really want stands like your first picture and last. Do you buy them on a site in particular?

Well done.

Regards

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Really nie collection! Love the T. rex teeth. :)

Really want stands like your first picture and last. Do you buy them on a site in particular?

Well done.

Regards

Thanks!

This stand actually came with the tooth but it is often advertised as a "Floating stand" or "Floating Display Stand Holder"... a quick search on the most popular selling site beginning with e and you can find a similar one to mine but I am sure you can find ones that are bigger to hold some of the bigger specimens! Unfortunately I don't think I can link to websites on this forum but if you provide me with your number I can WhatsApp it to you or facebook you the link. Just search "Floating Display Case Stand Holder Coins Medals Bullion Jewellery Collectables" and you will find it. I think you can also buy sets of them so that you have multiple! Also search on the popular Rainforest website for "Coin Display Box" but I am not sure if these are too small around 2.75 inches. There is also one in a slightly larger size search for "3D Floating Frame Holder Coin Box Jewelry Display Case".

The stand has two sheets of PET membrane that hold the item in place and the items are displayed in "mid air". I still need to figure out what this is called. 

Edited by Jaimin013
Added text

10 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

Thanks!

This stand actually came with the tooth but it is often advertised as a "Floating stand" or "Floating Display Stand Holder"... a quick search on the most popular selling site beginning with e and you can find a similar one to mine but I am sure you can find ones that are bigger to hold some of the bigger specimens! Unfortunately I don't think I can link to websites on this forum but if you provide me with your number I can WhatsApp it to you or facebook you the link. Just search "Floating Display Case Stand Holder Coins Medals Bullion Jewellery Collectables" and you will find it. I think you can also buy sets of them so that you have multiple!

The stand has two sheets of PET membrane that hold the item in place and the items are displayed in "mid air". I still need to figure out what this is called. 

Great! Thank you for the help!

I will look it up.

Kind regards

6 hours ago, Troodon said:

I’ve seen this tooth before and told the individual with it that it was one of those in between teeth. I said to compare it with your previously posted denticle count chart.

These pics are better in definition an closeups. So I’m leaning more T. rex on it.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, hxmendoza said:

I’ve seen this tooth before and told the individual with it that it was one of those in between teeth. I said to compare it with your previously posted denticle count chart.

These pics are better in definition an closeups. So I’m leaning more T. rex on it.

Thanks for the confirmation