Conundrum In The Walnut Formation

Uncle Siphuncle

What the heck is this thing? This is the most diagnostic view...it is roughly round in cross section and other views don't add much. Walnut fm, Lower Cretaceous marine, Bell Co., TX

post-22-1250220887_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

What the heck is this thing? This is the most diagnostic view...it is roughly round in cross section and other views don't add much. Walnut fm, Lower Cretaceous marine, Bell Co., TX

straight cephalopod?

Internal mold of a cephalopod????????

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Sounds logical, but I've not seen any orthocone cephalopods in the Kwa. Also, I can't see a siphuncle in section.

Grüße,

danwoehr..... It does look almost identical to the section of a bellemnite called the phragmacone.... mybe google it and compare...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Guest solius symbiosus

It certainly appears(how is that for an oxymoron?) to be a nautiloid, however(forgive my ignorance), I don't think that there were orthoconic nautiloids during the Cretaceous.

Guest Smilodon
It certainly appears(how is that for an oxymoron?) to be a nautiloid, however(forgive my ignorance), I don't think that there were orthoconic nautiloids during the Cretaceous.

"certainly appears" Now that's what I'm talking about.

my other fave is,

"I don't know anything about this but...."

So without further ado,

I don't know anything about this, but it certainly appears to be an external mold of a baculite. Of course I'm offering my definite opinion without knowing what the Kwa is.

There are some, baculite-like,not well defined, sutures?

Never mind, I say it's a clam-hole! :P

Guest Smilodon
There are some, baculite-like,not well defined, sutures?

Never mind, I say it's a clam-hole! :P

Wait I change my mind - Bison, just Bison.

Tracer - your thoughts? ;)

danwoehr..... It does look almost identical to the section of a bellemnite called the phragmacone.... mybe google it and compare...

I think Terry has it. It appears to be an internal cast of a section of Belemnitid phragmocone.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Well I've collected Texas pretty extensively and although this thing isn't pretty, its a first for me.

(Hey Smilodon - adopting the shorthand employed by the Geologic Atlas of Texas map series, K= Cretaceous, wa=Walnut formation, Lower Albian)

Grüße,

Wait I change my mind - Bison, just Bison.

Tracer - your thoughts? ;)

my thoughts are that it is readily apparent to me that "certainly appears" is neither oxymoronic nor inappropriate when used as a qualifier in this venue. knowledge to me exists in a continuum ranging broadly from "no clue" to "proven until disproven". i prefer to have a plethora of verbiage with which to express where i am on that continuum when stating something, just in case something i've said might accidently matter. but this is rhetorical rhetoric, because it doesn't. i'm fairly certain of it.

Sent your pic off to my paleontologist friend, Neal. He says

"It so looks like a straight amminoid. Lots of these get filled in with mud and do not show a

siphuncle. If you had more than one, then split it in half long ways and across to look for chambers."

Guest Smilodon
Sounds logical, but I've not seen any orthocone cephalopods in the Kwa. Also, I can't see a siphuncle in section.

That would be because there were no orthocone cephalopods in the Kwa.

Guest Smilodon

You are correct. There were no orthoconic nautiloids during the Cretaceous. But this is not an orthoconic nautiloid.

Guest Smilodon
Sent your pic off to my paleontologist friend, Neal. He says

"It so looks like a straight amminoid. Lots of these get filled in with mud and do not show a

siphuncle. If you had more than one, then split it in half long ways and across to look for chambers."

I give you baculites from Texas

post-2027-1250315303_thumb.jpg

I think Terry has it. It appears to be an internal cast of a section of Belemnitid phragmocone.

'Smilodon' may be correct. Rather than an internal cast of a Belemnitid phragmocone, it may be the steinkern from the alveolus of a Belemnitid guard. Hibolites is one possibility.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

That's very funny.