Interesting shaped bone

Jazfossilator

Found this bone at Myrtle Beach South Carolina quite a few years ago, the shape has always intrigued me but I have no clue what it could be from, any insights are appreciated!IMG_2265.thumb.JPG.5a8bc2cc14fec498065d28441b0f0cc5.JPGIMG_2276.thumb.JPG.dc8d02752fd0e7c5f8f9d312596addc4.JPGIMG_2277.thumb.JPG.282a9ad74d7c8de38325a0fc871f90b3.JPG

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

If I were to see this where I hunt, I would think it was a cast of a burrow. However, since I've never hunted your neck of the woods, I can't be sure. I'm not too knowledgeable on fossilized bones. If you blind folded me and gave me a human bone, I could tell you everything about it. Hopefully someone will chime in thats familiar with the paleontology in your area. 

...I'm back.

Could be, I'm not to privy on petrified wood, but it has the look and consistency of most fossilized bones I find on the beach in that area. IMG_2313.thumb.JPG.187e2bf9add4667e9cf50cd512b4acef.JPG

Surely, if it is bone then it doesn't appear to have been broken, the ends are not porous like most halved bones I find

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

Suppose it could be from the Paleocene deposits in the Potomac river ? 

I have a small piece  of angiosperm wood from Purse State Park in MD that looks quite similar. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

I have a small piece  of angiosperm wood from Purse State Park in MD that looks quite similar. 

OP says it was found in Myrtle beach, and if any carbonized wood from the Potomac made it there I would be surprised.

Gut says this is a rock of some sort rather than a fossil, they can be rolled by the waves into strange shapes.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

OP says it was found in Myrtle beach, and if any carbonized wood from the Potomac made it there I would be surprised.

Gut says this is a rock of some sort rather than a fossil, they can be rolled by the waves into strange shapes.

It's certainly a fossil, I can tell that much!

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'd like to see that if you have pictures!

2 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Well . . . small and light things travel pretty fast.

Just now, Rockwood said:

Well . . . small and light things travel pretty fast.

Yeah, it’s just most wood I’ve found there is Carbonized,extremely brittle, and water all but destroys it. Perhaps there is wood that is different there though.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

23 minutes ago, Jazfossilator said:

I'd like to see that if you have pictures!

It's not with the teeth, or the steinkerns. I must have it tucked away some place special, which I can't find.

20 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah, it’s just most wood I’ve found there is Carbonized,extremely brittle, and water all but destroys it. Perhaps there is wood that is different there though.

The piece I have is small but it seemed more durable than something like lignite.

Can you help us with a photo ?

Here we go. It was with the fish verts. and turtle shell fragments. (Do not adopt my filing system) 

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

It's not with the teeth, or the steinkerns. I must have it tucked away some place special, which I can't find.

The piece I have is small but it seemed more durable than something like lignite.

Can you help us with a photo ?

Yeah it’s typically a lignite. I’ll see if I can find a picture. Yours is the first I’ve seen solid. This piece still doesn’t look like wood to me. I’m sticking to my original ID but would love to be proved wrong (best way to learn)

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

ID but would love to be proved wrong (best way to learn)

Good to be able to hang out with people who think this way isn't it ?

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Malone said:

My guess would be a section of branch or root. The pictures of the ends are not very clear.

As clear as I could get them, it's not a very big piece. But I agree it has the look of something like that

10 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Probably P..-bone (Os priapi) - maybe from racoon.

Uncertain if fossil.

And I laughed at the idea that someone would actually buy one of these.

The rock shop nearby is rather eclectic and carries modern ones. 

29 minutes ago, Pemphix said:

Probably P..-bone (Os priapi) - maybe from racoon.

Uncertain if fossil.

Never thought of that, it's a fossil if that's what it is lol, certainly not new bone

The ends are lighter than the outer layer, I gave closer pics another go and these came out a bit clearer 

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm thinkin' wood just flew the handle.

I agree, still not convinced that it's a stone though haha. I may just never know.

15 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Good to be able to hang out with people who think this way isn't it ?

I think so, helps people argue with fact over opinion.

Could be a Baculum, though looks different than a raccoons. Still looks kinda stony to me but I’ve (thankfully) never been able to look close enough to a baculum to tell.

Happy hunting,

Mason