Interesting shaped bone

Jazfossilator

36 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I think so, helps people argue with fact over opinion

What irks me is that in many social groups when you are allowed to disagree is determined by one's social status.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Pemphix said:

Probably P..-bone (Os priapi) - maybe from racoon.

Uncertain if fossil.

Baculum is doubtful - certainly not from a raccoon. I collect the modern version :D

Whatever this is, it looks fossilized. A quick burn test would rule out modern. I'm by no means an expert, but to me it looks like it could be a beach worn bit of croc skull element or a bit of petrified wood. 

20 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

If you blind folded me and gave me a human bone, I could tell you everything about it.

I don't know what kind of weird party games you're into buddy, but this one really isn't my slice of tea. Have fun!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I don't see any bony texture. If it is something, it's a very water tossed burrow, as @ynot said. Other than that, looks more Rocky than biological to me.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

23 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

it looks like there could be bone texture there.

Does not look like bone to Me. Also I can not think of any bone that would have this shape.

Could be a root cast though. 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

50 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I don't know what kind of weird party games you're into buddy, but this one really isn't my slice of tea. Have fun!

Radiographer ? 

On 4/21/2018 at 5:09 PM, Rockwood said:

Here we go. It was with the fish verts. and turtle shell fragments. (Do not adopt my filing system) 

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

I'd break this along one of the sutures to see if it is an extremely worn ray pavement (battery)

1 minute ago, Plax said:

I'd break this along one of the sutures to see if it is an extremely worn ray pavement

I would not as it is clearly a piece of petrified wood. Notice the annual rings.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 4/22/2018 at 10:52 AM, GeschWhat said:

I lightened up one of the photos and it looks like there could be bone texture there. What do you think?

Odd bit 2.JPG

this is bone. Lots of phosphatized lag bone gets beat up like this and the porous portion is gone. am agreeing with Geschwhat. What it was originally I can't guess. Manatee bone is particularly dense and their rib fragments are found at Myrtle and other nearby beaches.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

I would not as it is clearly a piece of petrified wood. Notice the annual rings.

at this size and for such a worthless "wood" fragment I'd break it. If it is lignite then Rockwood knows it is wood. If it is hard and phosphatic I doubt it's wood. Just saying what I would do if it was mine.

we are talking about breaking Rockwood's specimen of course! SA2 or Marco got an opinion on Rockwoods specimen?

20 hours ago, Plax said:

I'd break this along one of the sutures to see if it is an extremely worn ray pavement (battery)

I'm pretty confident it's wood. It's texture is a bit more like ray pavement than most of the lignite I have though. It lacks the slick graphite like quality, but is very light and porous.

Perhaps at that time (P. E. thermal max.) there were dense woods, like are known only from southern rain forests today, growing there ? 

If it's lignite it will burn. Be ready to quench right away of course! Have experimentally lit lignite and come back later to find a pile of ash. It doesn't usually smoke and it's difficult to tell that it's lit. The heat and sulfur smell are sure signs.

I see the band width is variable now which suggests it is wood of some sort but can't shake the impression of an extremely worn ray pavement.