Got A Tooth For You

AeroMike

Found this one last night in Charleston, SC.

I would like ot know what it is, horse maybe?

DSC02774.jpg

DSC02783.jpg

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

yeah, looks like it, but photo is pretty dark.

I'll post better pics of it tomorrow when I bring it in to work.

Mike . . . The tooth appears to be an unerupted, upper, equid molariform horse tooth.

Thanks Harry, this would make only my second (and first black color) complete horse tooth!

Guest Smilodon
Thanks Harry, this would make only my second (and first black color) complete horse tooth!

C'mon guys. if it's unerupted, it certainly isn't complete, and if it's complete, it certainly isn't unerupted. It is however an upper horse tooth. On that, we all agree.

The photos are too dark for me to be able to determine what the story is. Actually a full on view of the root end would help too.

Aero, if all you want to know what the critter was you have the answer. If you want to know further details, we need brighter and more detail photos. Personally,I'd be happy just knowing it was an upper horse tooth.

I guess there could be a teensie bit of wear, as 'Auriculatus' suggests, but I can't make it out in this image.

Here are some basic steps you could use to improve your image:

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible to reduce shadows. Halogen bulbs are better for photography than tungsten filament bulbs. The new compact flourescent lamps (CFL) come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture. The CFLs produce very little heat.

BRIGHTEN AND CONTRAST. BRIGHTEN the image until the fossil appears slightly washed, then adjust the CONTRAST until the fossil is bright and sharp and is a good color-match. Practice this until you get a feel for it.

CROP, CROP, CROP. Again, use the image-editing software to crop the image to only what is pertinent. Leave only a narrow margin around the fossil. The more of your kitchen counter-top in the image, the smaller the fossil image will be.

post-42-1250306487_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

C'mon guys. if it's unerupted, it certainly isn't complete, and if it's complete, it certainly isn't unerupted.

That seems a bit nit picky and I think incorrect. Assuming no damage, it is a complete, for it's stage of development, upper horse tooth.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Guest Smilodon
That seems a bit nit picky and I think incorrect. Assuming no damage, it is a complete, for it's stage of development, upper horse tooth.

Hi Bill,

You know, I've found that when someone asks me to ID something, they generally prefer it to be accurate.

Three knowledgeable members have accurately identified what is it. However some small detail is uncertain because the photos aren't definitive.

Why in the world would you assume no damage? What evidence is there that it is not damaged from the root side when you can't even see it. The finder has said he's only collected two specimens. Might a side view showing the height of the tooth and thus the amount of wear or root damage end any speculation if the tooth is damaged and unerupted or not.

IMHO, accurate ID is more than just looking at a couple of dark grainy optimized photos on the internet and making assumptions, don't you think?

Hi Smiley,

The point I was making is that an unerupted tooth can still be complete, if not fully developed, where you state that it can't be complete unless erupted.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

oK Gang, I found this at a construction site in the tread marks of a bulldozer. Some of these teeth (mostly shark) are broken from time and equipment.

Here are better shots of the tooth, I am happy to know it is a horse tooth. Thank to all of you for your input.

teeth001-2.jpg

teeth004-3.jpg

teeth005-3.jpg

teeth002-2.jpg

teeth006-3.jpg

Hi Smiley,

The point I was making is that an unerupted tooth can still be complete, if not fully developed, where you state that it can't be complete unless erupted.

Have to agree with Bill on his point

Guest Smilodon
oK Gang, I found this at a construction site in the tread marks of a bulldozer. Some of these teeth (mostly shark) are broken from time and equipment.

Here are better shots of the tooth, I am happy to know it is a horse tooth. Thank to all of you for your input.

teeth001-2.jpg

teeth004-3.jpg

teeth005-3.jpg

teeth002-2.jpg

teeth006-3.jpg

Much better, Thanks. I'd go with (close to) unerupted but very waterworn if not broken off at the roots, therefore unlikely it is "complete", but much of the tooth is there.

My work here is done.

Archived