Is this a bird fossil? If so, do y’all know what kind?

Rae4849

Hey everyone! I came here for some help identifying this fossil I found as a child. I was with my aunt when I found it, so it was either in Oklahoma, Missouri, or possibly Texas. I’m sorry it’s such a big expanse of land, but I was so young! I’ve been wondering what it was for almost as long as I remember, but my mother took it from me and hoarded it with all of my other cool fossil finds! Lol. Any help identifying it would be appreciated! I’ve included the best images I can take with my phone, and I’ve also included some other finds as a size reference.

B909AE0F-0BA3-4883-AA14-A3DF316DACE8.jpeg

7BAE7035-2DB5-4A1B-9E29-28D7704B647E.jpeg

11C27725-A0D3-4BE6-BA77-BA4072EBA6A8.png

2CBC175C-494F-4A34-B293-2E206FDCEF98.png

Hi,welcome.

I don't think it's (the remains of)a fossil bird,but don't let that discourage you.

You picked it up,so the Earth(and its products,so to speak) basically interest you.

Fossil birds are among the more rare vertebrate(back-boned)animals

When extremely well preserved: fossil birds CAN look like this:

sha5wyykmicroraptuydge64sllifernakristlanthc.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Why don’t you think it’s a bird fossil? Looking at it, it looks to be very similar to fossilized birds that I’ve seen and compared it to. It has a clavical, a spine, ribs, and a long neck leading to what seems to be a bird head. I’m not sure what it is, but if it’s not a bird, what do you think it is?

I thought it could possibly be a pterosaur, but the head/beak are much shorter than you would find on a pterosaur.

Thanks for the shell idea! I can see why you would think that with the rarity of fossilized birds, but I have a lot of reasons I think it’s not a shell (all of which I definitely could be wrong about):

If it’s a shell, wouldn’t the lines spiral around like a shell instead of go straight(ish) through the fossil from back to front? Wouldn’t the tiny lines in the front that look like ribs be the same thickness as the lines on the back rather than being thinner? Why would the s shape (of what I think looks like a neck) look like tiny vertebrae when the rest of the lines don’t? Also, the part that I believe is bone and has had some of the surface rock chipped away over the years is a dark brown like many fossilized bones. Do shells look the same because I personally haven’t seen this on anything else I’ve found. The fossil also has a couple of spots (on the part that I believe could be a head) that look like eyes and nostrils, and that head area is seperated from the other part of the fossil by a thin band of color. So, it’s not attached to the rest of the fossil, right? Wrong?

Now, I’m obviously not a fossil expert (LOL), but all of these things lead me to believe that it is not a shell. I’ve found a lot of shells over the years, and none of them have these features that lead me to believe this a vertebrate fossil. I’m really curious about whether or not I’m wrong though, so would you mind show me a shell section that looks similar and has similar features? I’m definitely open and seeking to learn if you’ll teach me. I just want to know what this really is, and I’d appreciate anything you can teach me. 

But I’ll also look into the shell idea more. Just fyi. I don’t want to discount it because it definitely does have the same general shape!

Not all molluscan cross-section are strictly vertical and axial/central.

Sections can look different

The more I look at it, the more I think you’re likely right! I still have questions, but maybe I’ll finally be asking the right ones! 

Would this picture help with identifying what kind of shell it might be? Would a different angle help? TBH, the way they meet in the middle after curving in opposite directions and stem from something that looks “spine-y” is what first lead me to believe it was a vertebrate fossil (I’m so scientific - lol). Looking at it though, if it were a vertebrate fossil, they would probably meet in a downward pointing V, right? I just can’t understand what the shell would look like since it doesn’t seem to conform internally to any spiral shells I can think of. Any ideas for me?

And thank you for your help learning new things! I really appreciate it!

CB76B056-B948-47B4-ABFF-B861EAB44A11.jpeg

Edited by Rae4849
I just thought about it a little more and wanted to add the info

Check out orthocone nautiloid cross section. I think this type of thing is what Doushantuo is referring to. Mollusca are a Phyllum and refer to just about every creature which has a shell, no matter what shape, so he's offering you quite a lot to choose from.  

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I think it's a cross section of a gastropod. :unsure: 

I see no bone texture to suggest bird or any type of bones.

Regards,

post-423-0-48277100-1371328102.jpg 2CBC175C-494F-4A34-B293-2E206FDCEF98.thumb.png.7c694c7d76790078a60516c45c70c0e5.png

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I can see it as a gastropod in longitudinal section.

2CBC175C-494F-4A34-B293-2E206FDCEF98.png.d43f5c65484652cf456cce4b521b77ae.png.e08d17d45cf668f92cebad70ef407ba9.png140413tv.jpg.79042ce99f634712bc3d6882fdb423aa.jpg

Tim beat me to it with fractions of a second. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Unless I missed it, I don't think the others mentioned how fragile bird bones are. They are hollow and very delicate which is why they are rarely preserved. I agree with the others that you have some sort of mollusk. There is no bone material of any sort present. Interesting piece though! :)

9 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Unless I missed it, I don't think the others mentioned how fragile bird bones are. They are hollow and very delicate which is why they are rarely preserved. I agree with the others that you have some sort of mollusk. There is no bone material of any sort present. Interesting piece though! :)

In my mind was the thought that it's not too hard to imagine a natural cast of a bird skeleton with a heavy pressure shadow looking like this.

Don't know why I elevated it to being the norm.