Dino Egg

fossilizedcorgi

Ladies and gents, I have a dino egg I need some help with. Since file size is limited to 2.9 ill have to post the other picture in the comments. 

Thanks,

Fossilized Corgi

DSC00009.JPG

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice looking egg.

Huh ? !

Circle the shell texture, and I'll be in. Until then I see concretion. 

Looks like a Chinese segnosaur egg unless it was found in Missouri, which would most certainly make it a concretion. There does appear to be texture and the cracking is typical of Chinese eggs. It could use some prepping, but a pretty nice specimen.

3 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

Looks like a Chinese segnosaur egg unless it was found in Missouri, which would most certainly make it a concretion. There does appear to be texture and the cracking is typical of Chinese eggs. It could use some prepping, but a pretty nice specimen.

I can go along that far.

Asked before but what is your question about the egg?  Need answers to ynots questions.

This addresses is it real. 

Agree with steelhead9 looks like a nice egg.  I am seeing the shell texture in the first pictures, right side,  and shell cracking typical of an egg and there is red matrix in the cracks (Typical China/Mongolia).  We do need confirmation on locality to confirm.

Cropped and brightened:

DSC00008.thumb.JPG.52945bd07e175fffffe6ea3b56c03b34.JPG   DSC00009.thumb.JPG.d947ad566166173b6930b797d3b8210d.JPG

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Wow, didn't realize how active this community was. This egg was part of an estate, so origins are not going to be concrete however it is very possible that this came from China. The measurements I took look to be around 30 cm in circumference, 10-12 cm length, 8-9 cm in width and 3-4 cm in height.

It does look like a Chinese egg. It could be a "Segnosaur" egg or Spheroolithus sp. egg. Segnosaur eggs are thought to be from Therizinosaurid dinosaurs, and Spheroolithus sp. probably from hadrosaurids.

Personally, I am leaning towards Spheroolithus sp. due to the 12cm length.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

32 minutes ago, fossilizedcorgi said:

Does weight have any bearing? 414 grams

Not really, unless it is real light (plaster of paris).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

To be honest, I wasn't super interested in paleontology until I found this egg. So cool how active the community here is. 

Archived