Found in Jefferson County, MO

Rae4849

I found this in my grandmother’s field in Jefferson County, MO about 27 years ago. I have no idea what it could be. I had to add three tags, so I added toe since my brother always laughed and said that’s what I had found. Haha. I don’t even have an uneducated guess as to what it could be, but I ruled out a giant’s toe a long time ago. :) Any ideas on what this is? It’s about 3” long. The pitted part doesn’t stick to my tongue, but the white/brown part does which seems weird. Any help would be appreciated!

6F17F880-50D3-42D4-838A-BF9F7F668421.jpeg

46E96A23-C1FD-40A5-BF96-A2426EAAB2AA.jpeg

It looks to be a weathered and thereby interestingly shaped piece of sandstone with a mineral deposit of some sort at the one end of it. No sign of anything fossiliferous there to me.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That makes sense. The field is full of Native tools and relics, and I wondered if it could have been a handle to something. It’s so smooth and far away from any if the sandstone deposits in the area, so maybe that’s how it got there. Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, Rae4849 said:

It’s so smooth and far away from any if the sandstone deposits in the area, so maybe that’s how it got there. 

It seems more likely that this piece was made more durable than the surrounding rock by the cementing of the mineral inclusion.

Were I the native American I think I would carry a wooden handle. :)

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like limestone with some chert material.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Nope, just stick with the "Giant's Toe", it makes a far more interesting story. You can even build a roadside tourist attraction around it like those stupid "Mystery Spot" locations. Sell all kinds if souvenir junk and retire early.

That'll show your brother, Ha!

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Nope, just stick with the "Giant's Toe", it makes a far more interesting story. You can even build a roadside tourist attraction around it like those stupid "Mystery Spot" locations. Sell all kinds if souvenir junk and retire early.

That'll show your brother, Ha!

I vote toe, but think a troll is a more likely candidate due to the presence of nail fungus ;)

Rocky like the mountains.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

It seems more likely that this piece was made more durable than the surrounding rock by the cementing of the mineral inclusion.

Were I the native American I think I would carry a wooden handle. :)

I have several Native tools from the same field made of rock and worn from use, so I won’t discount that idea before checking with a pro. Thanks though!

10 hours ago, Rae4849 said:

I have several Native tools from the same field made of rock and worn from use, so I won’t discount that idea before checking with a pro. Thanks though!

Ideas don't require a lot of storage space. If you find out I was wrong let me know. I call that learning.