Beginner prep tools

LiamL

I would love to have a go at prepping some nodules, because the hammer and chisel is pretty brutal.

What would i need to set up an airpen? and would it work on Yorkshire fossils? If you have any recommendations for a beginner set i'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

40 minutes ago, LiamL said:

I would love to have a go at prepping some nodules, because the hammer and chisel is pretty brutal.

What would i need to set up an airpen? and would it work on Yorkshire fossils? If you have any recommendations for a beginner set i'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks

Any air tools will require an air compressor. Air tools can work on just about any fossils, pending the type of air tool you are using (and if you are removing bulk matrix or doing fine tuned work, type of medium required if blasting/erasing, etc.). It is also recommended that you invest in a blast chamber if you will be using an air eraser, with some kind of shop vac / venting system to remove the fine particulate debris from getting into one's lungs. Optionally, a boom arm microscope will prove very helpful in being able to prep with precision.

You're in the right place: have a longer read through these threads to get more advice about air tools (or perform a search using the search bar above). Chances are whatever question you might have will pretty much be answered somewhere in this sub-forum. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer