I found this toe bone this weekend and am working on an ID. It is from Florida's Peace River, Pleistocene, and is 1.5" long. 

inCollage_20180421_125446720.jpg

Jazfossilator

I'm no expert so I would wait for a positive ID, but it looks similar to Smilodon Fatalis toe bone examples I have seen. Could be a whole lot of other things but I think you might be right about it being from a predator.

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice find! Yay! Looks much more robust than a Panther digit I have which is similar in length! Not a fair comparison without comparing same digit positions/species which I'm not smart enough to figure out..Looking forward to hearing/seeing what the more knowledgeable have to say.   

5adc971a524b9_Pantheradigitpanorama.thumb.jpg.e1731a7db1da52cb6bbe214fbc4207bf.jpg

Good luck with the ID confirmation. Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 4
Harry Pristis

Certainly, it appears to be a proximal phalanx from a big cat, which cat I cannot say.  Jaguars seem to be much more common than other possibilities.

phalangesJaguarlateral.jpg

phalangesJaguarventral.jpg

phalangesJaguardorsal.jpg

• I found this Informative 7
Shellseeker

I had failed to identify this bone beyond being a predator... My understanding of Felis phalanges is that there is a space for retractable claws:

retractableclaw.JPG.ebdeba1fd6d773ee956b53de8c109e83.JPG

As I look at Miatria's 2nd photo,  I now seem to see that space on her bone.

I have a small Jaguar phalanx at 1.25 inches, likely a female or juvenile.  I will go search for phalanx size range tables for possible felis predators in Florida.. It will help me understand who is next biggest in Florida feline predators...

Jack

• I found this Informative 2
Harry Pristis

These are proximal phalanges, Jack.  The off-set to accommodate the retractable claw is on the medial phalanx.

catfootbones_B.JPG

• I found this Informative 9
Shellseeker
56 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

These are proximal phalanges, Jack.  The off-set to accommodate the retractable claw is on the medial phalanx.

catfootbones_B.JPG

Well, that makes a lot more sense, and even explains a little because of a size factor between proximal and medial phalanges.

Thank you for the excellent charts and photos.  I'm saving them all to my computer.  I don't seem to have as much luck in my Google searches for good charts but I assume it's how I'm phrasing my query.

Jaguar and smilodon are both exciting possibilities. 

Excellent find! Very cool indeed!

Tidgy's Dad

Very nice find! 

Congratulations! :)