Jazfossilator

another find from one of my past visits to Myrtle beach South Carolina, I have no clue on this one

IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

Part of a crab in a phosphate nodule piece.(?)

Unlike any crab bit I've ever seen but I won't rule it out! Thanks for the suggestion

The marginal conchoidal fractures lead me to think that it's not a phosphatic nodule.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It looks crabby to me as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

16 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Looks a bit like a ganoid scale, with the shiny bumps being the enamel. I'd wait for someone who knows more about it than I do. :)

Now that, I can see. pretty sure there's no crab involved here but that's based on my own crab finds from the same area and of course my gut feeling ^_^ thanks for all the suggestions 

40 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Looks a bit like a ganoid scale, with the shiny bumps being the enamel. I'd wait for someone who knows more about it than I do. :)

maybe something like this?

IMG_2493.JPG.fb0adf880138e6c933fff989c51605a7.thumb.JPG.0613551659abfa5a435a366060373aaa.JPGimgSizer.jpg.8d20feae5e9ddcca9757bd1fcd2b83a4.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

maybe something like this?

IMG_2493.JPG.fb0adf880138e6c933fff989c51605a7.thumb.JPG.0613551659abfa5a435a366060373aaa.JPGimgSizer.jpg.8d20feae5e9ddcca9757bd1fcd2b83a4.jpg

I'm thinking it could be just a very worn one!

The comparative picture I've posted shows Alligator Gar scales, if I remember correctly. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived