Help: Deinonychus Antirrhopus and Velociraptor digital scans

niic

Hi all,

This is my first post on this site. I am hoping I have come to the right place. I've spent some time searching the internet for answers but not having allot of luck so figured I should look at asking dedicated forums such as this and Collections and Research institutions.

I am hoping someone here might be able to point me towards somewhere I can download anatomically correct digital skeletal scans (in the public domain) for Deinonychus Antirrhopus and Velociraptor. I work in the film (visual effects) industry so reference material is super important to us and would love some nicely accurate representations. The intention is to 3d print this so we have a tactile reference.

In addition, any general information on digital dinosauria scan repositories, i'd be most grateful.

Thank you for any help on links or suggestions who/where I could speak further with.

Regards,

Nick.

H Niic

I am just an amateur, but I have been looking for skeletal scans of marine tetrapods (Whales, etc.) for some time now.

It depends a lot on what you want to learn from your scan.

Are you going to recreate fossils, then textures are important, you need a real scan or cast of a fossil. Those are often deformed or incomplete.

When you are going to animate a dinosaur, the texture of the bone doesn´t matter that much, but you need a complete, undeformed skeleton, what may mean a reconstruction rather than a scan. Depending on the scale you need a ready made Model may be cheaper than printing from 3d Data.

For Velociraptor you should be able to find something, if not for free.

Don´t know about Deinonychus.

Good luck!

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi J,

Thanks very much for the reply. Nope, not interested in any texture data and although interesting, also not interested in any surface features or topology information. I work within Creature Development so I am mostly interested in form and volume to give us insights into muscle attachments positions, weight distribution for simulation, and of course articulation so we can better understand locomotion.

I'm not too concerned with the presence of reconstruction, in fact this is preferred so long as it has been done by a scientific authority and not by an artist. I'm not interested in any creative inspiration. I am really looking for a 3d representation of the scientific communities current best guess at how these creatures fit together. Ideally, I am after a skeletal scan already assembled but am not worried either way. As for scale, I am after a digital scan so scale is 1:1.

It sounds like this kind of data isn't particularly available to the public?

Thanks,

Nick.

Hi Nick.

Again, i am no expert, but I spent some time looking for 3d scans of different skeletons.

As far as I understand it many 3d scans of recent animals are available to the public because the digitization projects are tax funded.  (i.e. on Digimorph, Morphosource, sketchfab...)

The same should be true for dinosaur skeletons.  On the other hand, few dinosaur skeletons are as complete as what you are looking for.

Many of those have been given individual names (like Sue) 

According to Gregory Pauls "Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs", Velociraptor is known from several complete skeletons, while of Deinonychus antirhopus there are only incomplete remains, mainly missing pelvis.and legs, skulls slightly deformed, so that the shape of the snout isn´t perfectly clear.

That means reconstruction is always an educated guess based on similar species. For the overall movement there won´t be much difference between your two species, but in detail it will be hard to know without a pelvis.

Maybe Scott Hartman is the man to ask? As far as i know he doesn´t do 3d stuff, but he seems to know his bones.

You should be able to find him by name on the net.

But maybe someone here on the forum will know more, I am more the one for the seacritters (and on the artistic side.)

Good night

Jan

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the info. I have been browsing through those sites while also on the hunt for more. Thanks for recommending Scott Hartman, I shall look for him online. Another very helpful chap has contacted me on here as well so am hoping I might be closer to a solution.

I would be absolutely welcoming of any scanned reconstructions. My only requirement for the data, is that the reconstruction work have been carried out by the scientific community and not an artist ...in order to ensure as a high a level of authenticity as possible ;)

Would you know if there is such a website/resource that indexes the location of dinosaur skeletons around the world into a centralised database i.e. where they currently are housed so one might be able to contact these institutions? So far my impression is, you really need to know people to get to the information.

Thanks very much,

Nick.

Hi Nick,

I don´t know of a centralised database, but look at the wikipedia commons, for many of the pictures there is information on where they where taken.

Only keep in mind that a complete skeleton of Deinonychus has still to be excavated.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Deinonychus_skeletal_mounts

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Velociraptor_skeletal_mounts

Cheers

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

Archived