PaleoNoel

What Glue to Use for Red Hill, PA

PaleoNoel

Hey everyone! For my April Vacation I'm going fossil hunting in NJ and PA. The plan is to visit the Cretaceous brooks in Monmouth County, then a fern site in the east of PA and later make my way to Red Hill near Hyner. I have seen on multiple posts from the forum along with other websites that bringing plenty of glue is essential for the preservation of the fragile Devonian fossils. Can someone please lend some insight as to how I could either purchase or make the right kind of adhesive for this job? Thank you.

Fossildude19
1 hour ago, PaleoNoel said:

Hey everyone! For my April Vacation I'm going fossil hunting in NJ and PA. The plan is to visit the Cretaceous brooks in Monmouth County, then a fern site in the east of PA and later make my way to Red Hill near Hyner. I have seen on multiple posts from the forum along with other websites that bringing plenty of glue is essential for the preservation of the fragile Devonian fossils. Can someone please lend some insight as to how I could either purchase or make the right kind of adhesive for this job? Thank you.

Are you going on a sponsored dig at Red Hill? I don't see an upcoming one listed on the NYPS field trip page. :unsure: 

I'm pretty sure they only do organized/sanctioned trips to Red Hill. 

As far as glues, many people just use cyanoacrylate (super glue) although you could search the Forum for adhesives, stabilizers, paraloid or paleobond. 

Also, not sure if  the fern site you are planning on going to is St. Clair, but that has been closed to collecting for a number of years now. 

Hope this helps.

Regards, 

PaleoNoel

That’s unfortunate... On all of the posts I’ve seen about red hill I had never noticed anyone saying that it was exclusively done through Paleontological Societies/ Clubs. And no I’m not going to St. Clair because I know that was closed down. If I can’t go fossil hunting at the site then maybe I’ll just check out the display lab nearby and maybe some of the state parks. I really hope I’ll have a chance to collect though...

Pagurus
1 hour ago, PaleoNoel said:

That’s unfortunate... On all of the posts I’ve seen about red hill I had never noticed anyone saying that it was exclusively done through Paleontological Societies/ Clubs. And no I’m not going to St. Clair because I know that was closed down. If I can’t go fossil hunting at the site then maybe I’ll just check out the display lab nearby and maybe some of the state parks. I really hope I’ll have a chance to collect though...

This is a quote from a recent field trip to Red Hill sponsored by the New York Paleontological Society :

"When we are allowed to dig here it is only by the permission of the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Science. We must follow their few but important rules: “No digging at all except when the group is accompanied by their designated representatives” and “All finds must be viewed by the representative and if important, must be given to the academy”.

PaleoNoel

Thanks for your insight everyone, for now Red Hill is off the agenda. But in years to come I will certainly be looking into joining a paleontological society to fossil hunt over there.