Eggshell fragments

DatFossilBoy

Hello all!

I just bought this batch of over 30 eggshell fragments for 1€.

A decent deal :) 

The seller claims it is from a dinosaur and a relative to Titanosaur.

Can somebody confirm this info or not? Thanks a lot. This is the only picture I have...

I am not too sure if the location (Marseille,France) he put in the description is where the fragments were found or where he is shipping the fossils from... likely the second option but I am not sure.

Thank you for the help!

Regards

6DD0C371-41BA-4C14-81C1-C4ADE50D7C99.jpeg

Cairanoolithus dughii from the south of France. There is no way to determine what species laid these eggs, so they gave the eggs a species name. Not sure on location, I'll heard of more than one, but most come from the area around Aix-en-Provence. Nice lot and VERY good deal.

• I found this Informative 4

Looks like a collection of fine specimens the eggshells of Humpty dumpteyi! (Just kidding! :ighappy:)  I don't suppose you've seen all the king's horses and all the king's men hanging around your neighborhood lately, have you?

Seriously though...very nice specimens at a VERY nice price!  Congratulations!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

25 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Cairanoolithus dughii from the south of France. There is no way to determine what species laid these eggs, so they gave the eggs a species name. Not sure on location, I'll heard of more than one, but most come from the area around Aix-en-Provence. Nice lot and VERY good deal.

Thanks! So probably a dinosaur? Even though there is no way of knowing.

Kind regards.

7 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Looks like a collection of fine specimens the eggshells of Humpty dumpteyi! (Just kidding! :ighappy:)  I don't suppose you've seen all the king's horses and all the king's men hanging around your neighborhood lately, have you?

Seriously though...very nice specimens at a VERY nice price!  Congratulations!

-Joe

hahaha very creative joke! Love it! :rofl: 

Humpty must of had a bad time back in those days!

Thanks for the comment :)

Cheers

1 minute ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Thanks! So probably a dinosaur? Even though there is no way of knowing.

Kind regards.

Yes, as they do not look like Any kind of other eggshells (birds, crocodiles...)  so yes, dinosaurian.

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Yes, as they do not look like Any kind of other eggshells (birds, crocodiles...)  so yes, dinosaurian.

Nice!!!

Thank you :) 

Have you seen this ?

cairanoolithus_micro.png.5fd0f37ab08100e5d98c747568fb12db.png

Images of the surface (A,D,G and J), section (B,E,H and K) and the pore system (C,F,I and L) of different types of dinosaur eggs. First line (A,B and C) is Cairanoolithus. (ICP)

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sure look like dino eggshells.   I dont think they are Cairanoolithus dughii those tend to be smoother and not with the ornamentation yours have.  There are numerious nesting sites in southern France were eggs are found, three around Marseille.  Lot of variety including herbivores (sauropods and ornithopods) and some theropods.  Nice addition to your collection.

• I found this Informative 6

On the other hand, the outer surface ornaments of these ones have a pretty good resemblance with those of the type genus "Megaloolithus" (see Plate 23/5).

6DD0C371-41BA-4C14-81C1-C4ADE50D7C99.jpeg.cfdc95d3e3d4e3c09687adb11a9c652b.jpg.9b1885e2365f9e04cbe4bf12b55f3ebb.jpg5add1b0aaac00_Plate23.thumb.jpg.02bd0be4fc900729d212d8a1db340820.jpg5add1b036d660_Plate23_text.thumb.jpg.8dde0ebc66a69690686082b5603a8945.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

On the other hand, the outer surface ornaments of these ones have a pretty good resemblance with those of the type genus "Megaloolithus" (see Plate 23/5).

Yes definitely look like Megaloolithus type shells :dinothumb:

It's not Cairanoolithus dughii as they have smooth shells. It's Megaloolithus sp.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

From a very reliable publication(a 1984 study of the influence of several factors on the morphology of Cretaceous vertebrate egg morphotypes from France:

Send me a PM if you want it

eudgeslliferna3tysswkristlanthc.jpg

ReconstructiDuodingia-duodingensis-through-protaspid-to.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2018 at 12:51 AM, DatFossilBoy said:

Thank you @abyssunder and @Troodon!

Very happy with Megaloolithus :) 

Thank you for the documents and the help.

Kind Regards

An old post I know, but wanted to confirm that you guys are correct. Those eggshell fragments are very likely Megaloolithus and in remarkable shape too. There are many features which distinguish dinosaur eggshell from other types of eggshell, in the field with just a hand lens, we focus on a variety of factors including thickness, density, pore spacing and pore count. 
Just to repeat what I said elsewhere:
Without embryonic remains within an egg it is near impossible to scientifically link an egg or eggshell type to the animal who laid it. Megaloolithus is the egg type often listed as Hypselosaurus eggs, and while that may be accurate, it is not yet supported by any findings. Megaloolithus does likely come from a Sauropod and perhaps even a Titanosaur but without further findings, there is no way to conclusively state anything further. 

14 hours ago, CBchiefski said:

An old post I know, but wanted to confirm that you guys are correct. Those eggshell fragments are very likely Megaloolithus and in remarkable shape too. There are many features which distinguish dinosaur eggshell from other types of eggshell, in the field with just a hand lens, we focus on a variety of factors including thickness, density, pore spacing and pore count. 
Just to repeat what I said elsewhere:
Without embryonic remains within an egg it is near impossible to scientifically link an egg or eggshell type to the animal who laid it. Megaloolithus is the egg type often listed as Hypselosaurus eggs, and while that may be accurate, it is not yet supported by any findings. Megaloolithus does likely come from a Sauropod and perhaps even a Titanosaur but without further findings, there is no way to conclusively state anything further. 

Thank you for the confirmation always good to get a professionals opinion on our calls, you never know.

Unfortunately sellers always like to associate a type of dinosaur with eggs or eggshells they offer for sale, makes for a more sellable product.   Buyers conversely like to see the type of dinosaur they come from and  ..oolithus names are foreign to both but the most serious collector.  Forums like this help change that thinking.

• I found this Informative 5

These eggshells-fragments can be collected on some fiels in southern France (Aix, Marseille,..) in dozens.

Age is mostly Masstrichtian or Campanium and the remains are all named as Hypselosaurus, despite it seems to be sure that at least some of them are NOT Hypselosaurus...  

http://deacademic.com/dic.nsf/dewiki/2329283

11 hours ago, Pemphix said:

These eggshells-fragments can be collected on some fiels in southern France (Aix, Marseille,..) in dozens.

Age is mostly Masstrichtian or Campanium and the remains are all named as Hypselosaurus, despite it seems to be sure that at least some of them are NOT Hypselosaurus...  

http://deacademic.com/dic.nsf/dewiki/2329283

I have no doubt of that, in the right formations eggshell fragments are common, eggs still remain rare even in China. Agreed, odds are there is another type of eggshell present but from what I have seen pictured most fragments are heavily weathered. The ones depicted in the first post are a welcomed exception.
That said it is possible for there to be a preservation bias where only a single type of eggshell would remain, this could be orogenic, or chemical and could lead to enough diagenetic alterations that the eggshell is no longer preserved in any meaningful capacity.

You can find the parts of different types eggshells in all states of preservation. So no specifics here for these spots.

As i said, some more types of egg are known, but not specified yet. All is now Hypselosaurus, what it is indeed not, for sure.