Possible Dino Egg w/ Embryo from NM?

MR G

Hello,

I found this egg looking specimen a couple of weeks ago in a dry river bed in Northern New Mexico.  The location was roughly 80 miles NW of Albuquerque, NM at an approximate elevation of 7,500 feet.  The first thing I thought was a possible dinosaur egg with an actual yolk/embryo in the center.  The smaller piece in the pictures actually is part of the egg portion.  It was found in a location where any people walking in the area are few and far between.  

The layers looked pretty distinct and the black lines caught my eye.  I believe I saw similar black lines on pictures of other dino eggs online.  So what do you guys think?  Is it possible that this could be a real dinosaur egg?  I have very little experience with this type of thing so I thought I would consult with the experts.  

Thank you very much.   

(It's only letting me add one picture, so i'll try and add a few others in my own replies).  

Test-DSCN1820.JPG

No eggshell texture visible. 

Concretion, or septarian nodule. :) 

Regards, 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Welcome to The Fossil Forum, Mr G!  I have to agree with DevonianDigger and Fossildude19.  I'm not seeing any of the diagnostic features of an egg in your specimen.  +1 for concretion/septarian nodule.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

You can see in yours some of the angular "crack-lines" characteristic of septarian nodules.
Some, when cut and polished, are attractive:

~~.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived