Jazfossilator

Another find from a beach at Lake  Champlain in Vermont that I originally thought to be just a cool rock but now I see it's a fossil of something, any ideas welcome!IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.8cb57fe1a319c6a89a7e5ce8ff7caf03.JPGIMG_2388.thumb.JPG.7300f25a33fc0b10a15659fce0d2b1af.JPGIMG_2389.thumb.JPG.b3958152011632f52a022bcef4c3bbb4.JPGIMG_2394.thumb.JPG.c297313cd6fa45cde1c261135376f7c1.JPG

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

I do not see anything diagnostic in this.

Look at the striations within the white part of the rock. 

IMG_2522.JPG

Just now, ynot said:

I did, as far as I can tell they are not diagnostic of what this is beyond a fossil something.

Well then you have nothing constructive to add. Thanks for looking though.

1 minute ago, Jazfossilator said:

Well then you have nothing constructive to add. Thanks for looking though.

Trying to say that some fossils are beyond recognition. 

Sorry if that does not help You.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Trying to say that some fossils are beyond recognition. 

Sorry if that does not help You.

I'm sorry if that came off as rude, not my intention. Of course your opinion is valued! 

Detailed up-close photos of tops of the columns and the columns themselves might help for giving an ID. Are you able to take photos thru a magnifying lens? Silurian and Cambrian marine rocks are in the area. Possible candidates include: coral, bryozoan and sponge. A member with knowledge of the local fossils might be more helpful.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I think magnified is the only way this will be identified, I was thinking Bryozoa as a possibility. Unfortunately I don't have a way to take magnified pictures of good quality, but I will look into options. Thanks for the suggestions!

11 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Detailed up-close photos of tops of the columns and the columns themselves might help for giving an ID. Are you able to take photos thru a magnifying lens? Silurian and Cambrian marine rocks are in the area. Possible candidates include: coral, bryozoan and sponge. A member with knowledge of the local fossils might be more helpful.

looks like a longitudinal  cross section of a horn coral

• I found this Informative 3

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

26 minutes ago, Herb said:

I can see that as well!

30 minutes ago, Herb said:

Horn corals are cone shaped. How does this object fit into a cone?

Crossed my mind the receptaculitid possibility.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

13 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Crossed my mind the receptaculitid possibility.

The area does have a lot of material from the Ordovician, thanks for the idea!

Here is an article about receptaculitids. Note similarity between posted fossil and diagram of inflated hollow receptaculitid.

http://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2017/02/10/wooster’s-fossil-of-the-week-a-receptaculitid-middle-ordovician-of-missouri/

Jazfossilator, look for a geological map of the area to find the names and ages of the local fossil bearing formations. Look for marine units. Then use Google to search for fossils from those formations. For example: fossils from the x formation or receptaculitids (or other organism) from the x formation (or Vermont).

Even if you do not find what you are looking for you are guaranteed to learn about the paleontology and geology of the area.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Here is an article about receptaculitids. Note similarity between posted fossil and diagram of inflated hollow receptaculitid.

http://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2017/02/10/wooster’s-fossil-of-the-week-a-receptaculitid-middle-ordovician-of-missouri/

Jazfossilator, look for a geological map of the area to find the names and ages of the local fossil bearing formations. Look for marine units. Then use Google to search for fossils from those formations. For example: fossils from the x formation or receptaculitids (or other organism) from the x formation (or Vermont).

Even if you do not find what you are looking for you are guaranteed to learn about the paleontology and geology of the area.

Thank you! Knowledge is power haha, Vermont has some very old geological history, I think receptaculid is a good possibility though I can't find any examples quite like this

17 hours ago, ynot said:

Horn corals are cone shaped. How does this object fit into a cone?

If you cut a horn coral at a 45 degree angle you can get an elliptical cross section . Just a possibility

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

2 minutes ago, Herb said:

If you cut a horn coral at a 45 degree angle you can get an elliptical cross section . Just a possibility

Yes, but not a crescent moon shape, and there is no evidence of septia.

The original object is a small piece of the whole. It is thicker at the "center" than at the edge and shows no surface parts exposed.

The apparent structure could be biologic or recrystallized.

It could fit into many "classes", but there can be no certainty on what it is.

All of the suggested IDs are just guesses and any placement, other than shell piece, is an assumption.

8 minutes ago, ynot said:

The original object is a small piece of the whole. It is thicker at the "center" than at the edge and shows no surface parts exposed.

All of the suggested IDs are just guesses and any placement, other than shell piece, is an assumption.

Seems to me even striations can be used as;) diagnostic, if you look closely enough

I was thinking cross section of barnacle, but that may not fit the age of the rocks.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

19 minutes ago, ynot said:

correct, just guesses

without more info it's a snarge shoot. Looks sort of like the Ordovician bryozoa/coral. Tetradium sp.

Tetradium.jpg

5 minutes ago, Herb said:

without more info it's a snarge shoot. Looks sort of like the Ordovician bryozoa/coral. Tetradium sp.

Tetradium.jpg

I plan to get magnified photos taken, I will post them when I do so everyone can have a look at the structure. Thank you for the suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but do these photos shed some light on this piece?

8B3A0CD3-26BC-4B77-AF76-29CB47939AF2.jpeg

F1B03CFD-2B14-4E4E-8A29-30E7D45100FB.jpeg

0CB7833B-3478-46AD-95D7-979B1773DB6A.jpeg

7BF877A5-F2C1-46B5-B193-CF8C47515262.jpeg

A72555B0-3D06-4A85-88E2-99B1392BA810.jpeg

D9ABB13B-57F5-4FD6-9D72-597A371A5880.jpeg

595D5085-63B3-4154-92CA-7B12E364909E.jpeg

92FF078E-D831-4901-B085-7DA4CEDB5F1F.jpeg

1550DBDD-D5D7-47DD-B3BE-A513AEB53E5E.jpeg

5EA081F0-3597-4701-92F2-D5F646A4BBE9.jpeg

In the newly posted pictures I can see a clockwise - counterclockwise intersecting rows pattern, so I think it might be a receptaculitid, something similar to Fisherites.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library