2020 rapidly approaching! Will there be a Fossil Of The Decade (FOTD)?

MeargleSchmeargl

The end of the 2010's are rapidly approaching. The first FOTY was held in 2010, nearly 10 years ago now. With the 2020's nearly upon us, we have almost 10 exquisite winners of FOTY in each category of the contest. :yay-smiley-1:

The question now: Will there be a decade contest? :headscratch:

Such a decision would probably be the hardest we Fossilers will ever make if it does turn out to be something in 2020. It would probably be the most competitive contest the forum has ever seen, and would be very exciting to see. Will it happen? :blink:

• I found this Informative 4

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

55 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

The end of the 2010's are rapidly approaching. The first FOTY was held in 2010, nearly 10 years ago now. With the 2020's nearly upon us, we have almost 10 exquisite winners of FOTY in each category of the contest. :yay-smiley-1:

The question now: Will there be a decade contest? :headscratch:

Such a decision would probably be the hardest we Fossilers will ever make if it does turn out to be something in 2020. It would probably be the most competitive contest the forum has ever seen, and would be very exciting to see. Will it happen? :blink:

So what is the prize if We guess right?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Such a decision would probably be the hardest we Fossilers will ever make

Just you wait till the fossil of the century, millennium, epoch, age, period, eon, and all-time!

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

16 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Just you wait till the fossil of the century, millennium, epoch, age, period, eon, and all-time!

You sure about all time? We'd probably be gone by then! :P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

So what is the prize if We guess right?

I don't even know...some kind of badge...? :headscratch:

2 hours ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Quite frankly, I do believe all of us currently on the forum will be long gone before that century mark, let alone of all time.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I quite like this idea and have been wanting something like it for a while, but why every 10 years? I know that years and units of years that end in zero are attractive to us decimal system users (go duodecimal!), but wouldn’t it make good sense to have it every 12 years since for FOTY 12 pieces are put up for a vote? Though I must admit that decade is easier to say than duodecennial, it might be something to consider. 2022 isn’t terribly far away either.

Possible, but consider in FOTM there are no set number of pieces entered ;) 

I like the idea of Fossil of the Decade. That would be an almighty award to have lol.

• I found this Informative 3

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Possible, but consider in FOTM there are no set number of pieces entered ;) 

I like the idea of Fossil of the Decade. That would be an almighty award to have lol.

True, but Fossil of the Duodecennial doesn’t sound too bad either :P

So, ... the Fossil of the Month contest isn't exciting enough?  :headscratch::P 

Well, technically, the ship has sailed on the decade idea. The Forum started up in 2007. ;) 

That said, we have a few years yet, to come to a decision on that.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

So, ... the Fossil of the Month contest isn't exciting enough?  :headscratch::P 

Well, technically, the ship has sailed on the decade idea. The Forum started up in 2007. ;) 

That said, we have a few years yet, to come to a decision on that.  :) 

Well, FOTM didn't start until '09, and the first FOTY was in '10. ;)

And FOTM is (obviously) quite exhilarating still. Just wondering if there will be a decade contest when '20 rolls around. 

Oh, I like the sound of that idea :) If it is put in place, I can just imagine everyone flocking to the nearest Lagerstätte in 2020...

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Let's wait until our third decade to make it our thing. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 4/22/2018 at 8:17 PM, MeargleSchmeargl said:

You may not get to see the best fossil of all time, but you could still become it

Edited by glyph250

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2018 at 10:07 PM, glyph250 said:

You may not get to see the best fossil of all time, but you could still become it

Yup, I was thinking the same thing. With any luck (OK, with an incredible amount of it.), shedding these future fossils might end up as a molting of sorts.

I look forward to seeing the FOTD entries. You folks find some amazing stuff, and do awesome jobs preparing. Good eyes, fine brains, steady hands, and a most impressive scientific vocabulary. Admittedly, I can't keep up with most of it. Oh, and some impressive photography skills as well. Always enjoy my time perusing TFF. Bone appetite.