What a great weekend

Darktooth

Well folks Spring has finally arrived in Central New York! We actually had two days in a row of sun! The thermometer is reading 70º as I write this. Me and the boys were busy this weekend. Yesterday we collected some gypsum specimens, shot their BB gun and a found an old Coke bottle. Today we went to Briggs road for a short Trilo hunt, went fishing and went to one of the nicest waterfalls in our area. We all enjoyed being outdoors and soaking up the sun. While at the fossil site I found a huge spotted salamander wedged in between the shale. I felt bad for disturbing it but I didn't see it until I had already destroyed its resting place. I don't think it was actually out of hibernation yet as it was very sluggish. Here are some pics.

1- Gypsum

2-Coke bottle

3- Salamander

4-Dylans finds

5-Davids finds

6&7- Devins little trilo roller

8- My finds

20180422_170053.jpg

20180422_091033.jpg

20180422_113900(0).jpg

20180422_180316.jpg

20180422_180338.jpg

20180422_180407.jpg

20180422_180407.jpg

20180422_180449.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Just now, Raggedy Man said:

sweet spotted salamander! 

Yeah, that was a really cool surprise! I enjoy when I find something like that to show my kids. Last summer I found a bunch of snake eggs buried in shale and a while later Momma snake was a little deeper in the rock. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Awesome finds, the salamander is super cool! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

33 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice finds, glad You had a good weekend hunt (with the boys).

Thanks Tony! I really enjoy spending time with them and teaching them new things.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

You're making some great memories with the boys, Dave! Nice finds too. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

11 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Awesome finds, the salamander is super cool! 

Thanks Mason! There is another type that we find around here in some of the creeks. It is pink/purple.  Also there are a few species of newt. One time my wife and I went to a garnet mine in the Adirondacks. It was a light rain while we walked the trail to get to the mine. The woods ended and there was a sort of amphitheater created by the mining many years before. The floor was moss, rock and sparse vegatation. And the surprising sight of hundreds of red newts! I mean we really had to be careful where we stepped so as not to crush them. It was a very special treat for us.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Just now, Pagurus said:

You're making some great memories with the boys, Dave! Nice finds too. 

Thanks Mike!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Nice report, Dave!

Glad you got out there. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Neat finds there!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

18 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Nice report, Dave!

Glad you got out there. :) 

13 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Neat finds there!

Thanks Guys. Now I can't wait for next weekends Shindig!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Great trilo-finds, Dave!  I, too, tried to go fossil-hunting with the kids this past weekend, but both local places that we visit (Etobicoke Creek and Mimico Creek) had fast-flowing water covering up the rocks, so we went to the park instead - it's so nice to be outside again after such a rough winter!!!

It is certainly great weather to be out there with the boys, Dave. :) You guys scooped up a lot of cute ranas, but I think the salamander steals the show on this trip. :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 hours ago, Monica said:

Great trilo-finds, Dave!  I, too, tried to go fossil-hunting with the kids this past weekend, but both local places that we visit (Etobicoke Creek and Mimico Creek) had fast-flowing water covering up the rocks, so we went to the park instead - it's so nice to be outside again after such a rough winter!!!

Thanks Monica! Hopefully next weekend the water levels will be low enough for you to get out and hunt. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!:fingerscrossed:

5 hours ago, Kane said:

It is certainly great weather to be out there with the boys, Dave. :) You guys scooped up a lot of cute ranas, but I think the salamander steals the show on this trip. :D 

I feel the same! I have always enjoyed finding finding snakes, salamanders, turtles and other assorted wildlife since I was a kid. I used to drive my parents crazy with the things I would bring home. I once brought an injured Blue Heron home. I will have to share that story later, not enough time now.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

4 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Thanks Monica! Hopefully next weekend the water levels will be low enough for you to get out and hunt. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!:fingerscrossed:

I feel the same! I have always enjoyed finding finding snakes, salamanders, turtles and other assorted wildlife since I was a kid. I used to drive my parents crazy with the things I would bring home. I once brought an injured Blue Heron home. I will have to share that story later, not enough time now.

Less than a week, bro. :) Hope you like big coral from Ontario because you are getting some! (with other stuff, of course).

30 minutes ago, Kane said:

Less than a week, bro. :) Hope you like big coral from Ontario because you are getting some! (with other stuff, of course).

I am so stoked for Saturday, that I can hardly contain myself. My co-workers are giving me a hard time whenever I talk about it. Though while one of them was mocking me to another co-worker, that person said "Oh he is into Fossilhunting?"" I have always wanted to find fossils!" So now he wants to come.

My wife is so tired of hearing it she just smiles and nods her head and says "That's nice, Dear".:)

And yes I do like gifts no matter what they are!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

7 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I am so stoked for Saturday, that I can hardly contain myself. My co-workers are giving me a hard time whenever I talk about it. Though while one of them was mocking me to another co-worker, that person said "Oh he is into Fossilhunting?"" I have always wanted to find fossils!" So now he wants to come.

My wife is so tired of hearing it she just smiles and nods her head and says "That's nice, Dear".:)

I am setting up a nice package just for you. Of course, the ideal is to have you up here with us! I'll need to clean up the dirt to get by the border. You would be like a kid in a candy shop up here! I filled up a bucket for you. :) 

I am looking forward to this, too. I don't care what I find - to me this is about hunting with TFF comrades. The people matter more than the fossils, IMO

1 minute ago, Kane said:

I am setting up a nice package just for you. Of course, the ideal is to have you up here with us! I'll need to clean up the dirt to get by the border. You would be like a kid in a candy shop up here! I filled up a bucket for you. :) 

Why, Thank you kind Sir! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

Why, Thank you kind Sir! 

Aye, no, thank you for hosting us! I could come away with little to nothing and declare it a successful dig because it was with comrades-in-arms. :) 

You will leave there with plenty and have a great time with a bunch of outstanding members! I guarantee that!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

@Kane FYI, I just wanted to mention don't forget to pack some food as there is nothing close by if you get hungary!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

@Kane FYI, I just wanted to mention don't forget to pack some food as there is nothing close by if you get hungary!

Good point. I'll task Deb with that. I can work on an empty belly when work needs to be done. It's a four hour drive to DSR for us, so we'll likely fill up on the way. :) 

Love the salamander! :wub:

So glad you had a nice, warm and fun day. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Sounds like a nice trip and beautiful salamander!  I've seen a lot of small, less colorful newts, big colorful crayfish, freshwater shrimp and lately spring peepers are everywhere.  Pre- mosquitoes, so great to observe the aquatic wildlife.