Monica

Hello there!

I'm still in the process of deciding which fossils to put in my new display cabinets, so I'm looking for some identification help, if possible.  All of the items pictured were found in the Toronto area (Georgian Bay Formation, Upper Ordovician) along creeks or rivers - please help me identify them if you can!  Thanks in advance!

Monica

Picture #1: A trace fossil, but of what?  Someone suggested trilobite tracks, but I don't know - what do you think?  Perhaps @piranha can have a look...

DSCN2776.thumb.JPG.b2e4170f0e848b104f358f22f84b21d2.JPG

Picture #2: This may or may not be a trace fossil - I only just noticed it today.  It vaguely resembles trilobite tracks to me (cruziana), but I'm definitely not sure...

DSCN2777.thumb.JPG.6bd58a0ae4f54e9d55c498e8db8fa72b.JPG

Picture #3: A gastropod, perhaps?  Could it be anything else?

DSCN2779.thumb.JPG.21a426c803523d9686a8b97d423ebae1.JPG

Picture #4: Another gastropod(s)?  Most of the gastropods I find in the area are white in colour, not black.  What do you think about this piece?

DSCN2782.thumb.JPG.206a2b3eeaf225267a08ceb8467177ab.JPG

Picture #5: A single, water-worn gastropod steinkern, or is that just wishful thinking?

DSCN2788.thumb.JPG.f3a9f28ff74bec9b6e7cee72936621c6.JPG

Picture #6: An orthoconic nautiloid, yes, but what about those black bits - are they trilobite remnants?  And if so, does anyone recognize from where on the trilobite they'd be from and/or from which trilobite?

DSCN2783.thumb.JPG.c33bbadc2654cc4c53da830b8becf852.JPG

Picture #7: An isolated chunk of orthoconic nautiloid?

DSCN2786.thumb.JPG.b914b979f92a6e92abe942ab303a5847.JPG

Sorry I can't help with Id, but neat finds!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Awesome finds, though I can’t help either sadly.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree with Roger, although #5 may be a worn rugose coral - hard to tell as it is so worn. And, of course, in #4 lodged between the gastros is the ventral of a brach.

I wonder if #1 is either an imprint of a spiriferid, or if possibly it might be a conularid (although the ribbing seems too large to be that). The only rub is that I'm a bit fuzzy on brachs in the Georgian Bay Fm, and am more accustomed to seeing those long-winged brachs in the Devonian.

#2 might possibly be a worm burrow where the in-fill has crumbled off. Initially I thought it might be a seriously worn and hollowed out nautiloid, but it lacks the symmetry. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

#1 has some resemblance to conularid impressions, though I'm not 100% sure that's what they are.  Suggestive features include the sharp almost right angle change in direction of the "ribs" in the lower left specimen.

#5 is definitely a gastropod.  Also, rugose corals are very rare in the Georgia Bay Formation in the Toronto area.  I found a couple of Grewingkia in the Streetsville reef area but never found (nor read about) corals anywhere else in the area.

#6 includes a probable Isotelus free cheek (lower left) and gastropod (upper right).  The dark material in the gastropod is calcite filling part of a whorl.

Don

Thanks to all who have responded thus far!

Re: specimen #1 - I've never collected a conularid before, so if that's what it is, then that would be pretty exciting for me!  Perhaps I'll post more pictures of it when I get home so you all can have a better look at it...

Re: horn corals - I've only ever found one at Etobicoke Creek, and although it's a very squashed specimen (i.e. not very attractive), it'll likely go into the display because it's the only one I've found in my area.  Hungry Hollow is SO different - rugose corals galore!!!  Viola and I will be headed out there on Saturday with the field trip organized by NPGS - hopefully I'll be able to find things other than horn corals but they're oh-so-tempting to pick up - I may not be able to resist! :P

Nice finds! 

The gastropods could be Cyrtolites, i think? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds! 

The gastropods could be Cyrtolites, i think? 

Well that would be exciting!  I just looked up that genus, and it's a monoplacophoran rather than a gastropod!!!  Images of Cyrtolites on the web generally seem more ornate than the specimen pictured above (item #3) - is it possible that the one I found is simply more water-worn than others?

Thanks for the suggestion, Adam!

Monica

8 minutes ago, Monica said:

Well that would be exciting!  I just looked up that genus, and it's a monoplacophoran rather than a gastropod!!!  Images of Cyrtolites on the web generally seem more ornate than the specimen pictured above (item #3) - is it possible that the one I found is simply more water-worn than others?

Thanks for the suggestion, Adam!

Monica

Maybe, or it could be a gastropod, just a suggestion. :)

This one is from the Georgian Bay Formation, Cyrtolites ornatus posted by Juan Emmanuel in the Members Gallery. It's not too ornate or different. Cyrtolites ornatus

He's posted Conularids and other stuff from the same formation that might be worth a look at too. 

And i just got a parcel delivered from you! :)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay-smiley-1: 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Maybe, or it could be a gastropod, just a suggestion. :)

This one is from the Georgian Bay Formation, Cyrtolites ornatus posted by Juan Emmanuel in the Members Gallery. It's not too ornate or different. Cyrtolites ornatus

He's posted Conularids and other stuff from the same formation that might be worth a look at too. 

And i just got a parcel delivered from you! :)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay-smiley-1: 

Hello again, Adam!

I just looked at the two side-by-side, and you're right - they don't look too different - Juan's has some faint ridges that my specimen lacks, but that could indeed be due to mine being exposed to the elements for a longer time.  So now I'm leaning towards it being a monoplacophoran rather than a gastropod - especially since the whorls don't appear to touch in my specimen.

Re: the package that you've received - it arrived pretty quickly - hooray!!!  I hope that you like its contents... :fingerscrossed:

Monica

Just now, Monica said:

Hello again, Adam!

I just looked at the two side-by-side, and you're right - they don't look too different - Juan's has some faint ridges that my specimen lacks, but that could indeed be due to mine being exposed to the elements for a longer time.  So now I'm leaning towards it being a monoplacophoran rather than a gastropod - especially since the whorls don't appear to touch in my specimen.

Re: the package that you've received - it arrived pretty quickly - hooray!!!  I hope that you like its contents... :fingerscrossed:

Monica

I love 'em! :wub:

Will post in the mailbox thread later today! 

Thank you! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Archived