Mazon Creek Braidwood IL Fossil Hunt

MinookaDan

Went out this afternoon hunting for Mazon Creek fossils in Mazonia-Braidwood. We spent about three hours searching for concretions without a lot of luck. We did find a couple of small ones. I wanted to check out one more area before we left and we ended up finding the attached. It is the largest one I have ever seen (in person or on the internet). It is hard to tell, but that is a quarter on it. 

When I went to pick it up, the nodule on top detached from the lower half. That nodule is probably the largest one I have ever collected. It is clear by looking at it that it used to be one large piece. My question to the group is, has anyone found anything this large? Should I try to open it myself (freeze/thaw) or try to find someone more experienced?

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

That site is a bit tricky to hunt. Many of us went the opening weekend and put a good dent in the newly exposed concretions. You can most definitely try to open it. You never know what you'll find. I personally have never found anything in the slabs of shale like the one you found. However, there might be a rogue fern leaf or two in there. I usually use the freeze thaw method for the concretions and just take my hammer to those slabs. Good luck!

If you reveal anything post some pictures!

Best regards

Paul

• I found this Informative 4

...I'm back.

Welcome to the forum from New York!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Paul,

Thanks for the response. I am a novice, but I believe the slab is ironstone and not shale. We came across a lot of shale and this is different. Does that make a difference?

From the look of that rock, I do not hold out too much hope that something will be in it. Now watch you find something insider. I have a lot of large concretions that look like regular Mazon Creek ones, but there is rarely anything in those. Give it a shot and let us know if you find anything.

Good luck! 

And a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for all the responses. I need to clear out some room in the freezer before try opening it up. I will update this thread after I have opened it. Hoping for the best.