Jazfossilator

I'm wondering if someone can identify a species based on this bit of claw, doubtful but I try to be a glass half full kind of guy, I tried to photograph the details. Any info or ideas would be great! Found at Myrtle Beach South Carolina, unlike other crab claws I've found there.IMG_2481.thumb.JPG.39f5407b7519de07d8456e0f37f35660.JPGIMG_2484.thumb.JPG.c754cc2576beaac6a59aede6e0aa2bff.JPGIMG_2482.thumb.JPG.fc26cb43c24f9d343485c08e6b80ca89.JPGIMG_2485.thumb.JPG.80f852e22a794670facf2db0a68618d0.JPG

Looks like it might be an Interior cast of one which might make identification a bit on the difficult side.

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

Looks like it might be an Interior cast of one which might make identification a bit on the difficult side.

It's actually the outer shell filled with matrix, I can see how it would look that way though, I'm just wondering what kind of Family of crab has such straight tubular claws and rows of tiny bumps lining them, but there are probably many that do.

It's parts of the palm and most of the movable finger of a crab, possibly Avitelmesus though that's pretty much a guess.  Perhaps @Plax can help, he knows the North/South Carolina fauna well.

Don

Nothing particular comes to mind. Sorry about that. Too many possibilities with the Peedee, Goose Creek, Waccamaw and Canepatch formations all being represented on the beach.

Archived