Conispiral gastropod Silica Shale (UPDATE)

Peat Burns

UPDATE:  This could be Murchisonia sp. which has been recorded from the underlying Dundee Limestone and deposited in the Ohio State University Museum of Biological Diversity.

Hello,

I found a rare conispiral gastropod steinkern in the middle Devonian (Givetian) Silica Shale of Paulding, Ohio, last week.  It's the first strongly conispiral gastropod I've ever found in the Middle Devonian (let-alone the Silica Shale).  I looked through the FUMMP online database as well as the "Strata and Megafossils of the Middle Devonian Silica Formation" published by FUMMP and couldn't find any taxa that looked like this.  It has the general shape of Paleozygopleura known from the Hamilton Group of New York.  Is anyone aware of a snail with this general morphology that has been reported from the Silica Shale? 

Scale in mm.

20180423_000411.thumb.jpg.1fb9dd85abc76ce9f8d1c1cc110d96ce.jpg

Not even remotely an id<but : a palaeozygopleurid?

edit: thus proving that I am a bad reader.:D

58 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Not even remotely an id<but : a palaeozygopleurid?

Thanks doushantuo, it sure has that general morphology as indicated in my initial post, but I just can't find any records from the Silica Shale.  The older records only list 4 species of gastropods:

Platyceras dumosum rarispina

Platyceras bucculentum

Platyceras carinatum 

Platystoma lineata

(Btw, I think the genus name on some Platyceras has since been changed)

A couple of tiny, less strongly conical taxa are included in the aforementioned book, but are not good matches. 

Maybe it's a new member of the Silica Shale fauna... (probably not, but it would be neat to be able to add one).

18 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

I think Bowsher did something with Platyceratids,taxonomically and ecologically speaking

FYI(below,less than 2,5 Mb)

Patterns_of_convergence_in_general_shell.pdf

Thank you. I think the Platyceras dumosum rarispina or Platyceras rarispina is now genus Spinyplatyceras.  The rest, I think, are still Platyceras .

4 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Because  i thought you would already be familiar with it:D

Ah okay. Well now I take that as a compliment :).  I wish I had time to keep up with the Palaeozoic invertebrate zoology literature.  It's hard enough to keep up with the literature in my own specialty!

UPDATE:  This could be Murchisonia sp. which has been recorded from the underlying Dundee Limestone and deposited in the Ohio State University Museum of Biological Diversity.

• I found this Informative 2

• 5 years later...