Large Volume Fossil Hunting

fossilizedcorgi

I have been searching around the different pay-to-dig sites and it seems to me that if they could dig enough valuable items out themselves, they wouldn't rent it out to visitors. Are there any areas in the U.S where you can fossil hunt commercially without the huge cost associated with the pay to play sites? For example one place in Maryland says they average around 10-20 trilobites for a 4 hour dig. Since each (small) one goes for around 5$ that wouldn't be the best opportunity. Any ideas for a fossil hunting adventure that has enough volume to support the adventure? Not going into the ethics of commercial fossils and what not. 

9 minutes ago, fossilizedcorgi said:

I have been searching around the different pay-to-dig sites and it seems to me that if they could dig enough valuable items out themselves, they wouldn't rent it out to visitors. Are there any areas in the U.S where you can fossil hunt commercially without the huge cost associated with the pay to play sites? For example one place in Maryland says they average around 10-20 trilobites for a 4 hour dig. Since each (small) one goes for around 5$ that wouldn't be the best opportunity. Any ideas for a fossil hunting adventure that has enough volume to support the adventure? Not going into the ethics of commercial fossils and what not. 

Haha .. I would like to post the first snarky comment suggesting it would then not be called fossil 'hunting. Anything beyond that would involve extended man hours or heavy equipment and man hours to move large amounts of material. At that point you might as well just lease a parcel of land and charge people to dig?? I'd say normally it's not 'worth' it in that sense. But that's not why most of us are knee deep in the muck.

Good luck ! Happy hunting. 

Gold mining I hear is lucrative as well ?  Haha.. ok. Just kidding I'll I'll stop. 

• I found this Informative 1

U-dig fossils in Utah, Rainbow ridge mine (Virgin valley) Nevada and Ernst quarries (sharktooth hill) in California.

Edit: Miss read the question, sorry.

If it is public land, no it is against the rules to dig for commercial purposes, if digging is allowed there. Digging is not allowed in national monuments and other "protected" public lands.

If on private lands permission from the landowner is required. (Not easy to get.)

Also, finding an area that will produce abundant rare fossils is not an easy task. 

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

15 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Gold mining I hear is lucrative as well ?  Haha.. ok. Just kidding

Why do You think there are so many international mining corporations stripping the world.

The real hard part is finding a place that is worth the effort to dig, that has not been dug before.

• I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Why do You think there are so many international mining corporations stripping the world.

The real hard part is finding a place that is worth the effort to dig, that has not been dug before.

Oh yes sure. But you need loads of capital and plenty of financial resources to support a profitable operation. Not to mention the heavy equipment and specialized sorting tools. Not for the faint of heart or usually an individual endeavor.

As an individual leasing a parcel of land and scouting it for fossil exposures ... or exposing some yourself might be the best bet. 

Most of us do something else for a living that has steadier demand and better remuneration, and reserve fossiling as a fun hobby/escape, realizing that anything fun and worth doing usually costs money, rather than serving as a "profit center".  There are some really cool and knowledgable guys on this forum who dig commercially full time, but I get the feeling that market saturation became a major concern with the advent of internet based sales and internet based info for do-it-yourself collectors. 

• I found this Informative 3

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

2 hours ago, fossilizedcorgi said:

...it seems to me that if they could dig enough valuable items out themselves, they wouldn't rent it out to visitors.

At the fish quarries in the Green River Formation, they get a bunch of laborers paying, and do better financially than if they tried do do it all themselves.
Remember too that extraordinary fossils remain the property of the quarry, so you don't get to keep the bird you find.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

36 minutes ago, Auspex said:

At the fish quarries in the Green River Formation, they get a bunch of laborers paying, and do better financially than if they tried do do it all themselves.
Remember too that extraordinary fossils remain the property of the quarry, so you don't get to keep the bird you find.

@Auspex, at Sseth's quarry anything you find can go home with you. It was a GREAT experience visiting the quarry last summer. While I was there, some very significant finds occurred. You will more than make up the cost of the trip with the fossil finds. I highly recommend this to anyone remotely in the Kemmerer area.

Picture

American Fossil - Real Fossil Dig in Kemmerer Wyoming

Buy Your Gift Certificates or schedule a dig for our 2018 Season Today! Click Here!

Our Quarry IS currently closed for the Season. Please visit us May of 2018!
Season runs May 15-September 30

seed.gif?api_key=gqLWKHSnTxes4YmmtgWkqA&
RECOMMENDED ON
TripAdvisor TripAdvisor
American Fossil

American Fossil is giving you the opportunity of a lifetime. We have the only quarry in the world where you have the opportunity to dig fossils and keep every fossil you find.
  • I found this Informative 2

I did not know that there was no high-value-reserve clause at Seth's quarry...
Now I really wish I'd found that horse!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

I did not know that there was no high-value-reserve clause at Seth's quarry...
Now I really wish I'd found that horse!!!

I think He has a "buy at half value" for the real treasures. (At least that was the terms laid out in His auction last year.)

@fossilizedcorgi, this is such a professionally run operation geared towards making a success out of your trip. Sseth's family and friends are so knowledgeable and more importantly eager to assist you. They have rock saws right there allowing you to trim pieces to reasonable size for travel.