Funny Fake

BonuFrailman

Does it have made in China stamped on the back?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

1 hour ago, BonuFrailman said:

Does anyone actually believe this is real?

To the original question - yes, apparently folks often buy "fossils" with similar qualities. Otherwise, there would not be so many offered for sale.

On this piece I credit the creator for the uneven shape of the matrix and the missing tail verts and manus at the slab's margins. Those are nice touches that lend an air of authenticity. 

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

You'd better act fast and get it quickly, only three left!  Which adds to the rarity and thus a higher price I'm afraid.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I found one of those things stuck behind my refrigerator once, poor thing, just some skin and bones.

I knew a guy who who told me about a great deal he got on a 4 inch Megladon

Tooth. Only $20! A few weeks later he brought it to the Syracuse Gem and Mineral show. He wanted to put it in a display he was putting together. Right away I could tell something was not right. It was a plastic replica I turned it over to look on the back and there was a sticker that said "Made in Italy". When I pointed this out he got so mad at me for saying it wasn't real. He said the sticker meant it was "found" in Italy and refused to believe it was not real. He didn't talk to me for awhile.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1. Caveat emptor.

2. You get what you pay for.

3. There's a fool born every minute, and someone to take advantage of them born every 30 seconds

4. If it looks too good to be true it probably isn't.

Rules to live by.

• I found this Informative 3

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

I knew a guy who who told me about a great deal he got on a 4 inch Megladon

Tooth. Only $20! A few weeks later he brought it to the Syracuse Gem and Mineral show. He wanted to put it in a display he was putting together. Right away I could tell something was not right. It was a plastic replica I turned it over to look on the back and there was a sticker that said "Made in Italy". When I pointed this out he got so mad at me for saying it wasn't real. He said the sticker meant it was "found" in Italy and refused to believe it was not real. He didn't talk to me for awhile.

Wow... Serves him right for not knowing what 'Made in Italy' means! He must have noticed that sticker before buying, no?

:doh!:

Funnily enough I bought a genuine nautiloid once that had a “made in China” sticker on the back. I guess it wasn’t lying, the creature was probably born and lived out its life in what became China.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

36 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Wow... Serves him right for not knowing what 'Made in Italy' means! He must have noticed that sticker before buying, no?

:doh!:

As far as I know yes he saw the sticker. I don't believe the seller was trying to pull a scam either. I think he just didn't ask questions first. I find that strange because he was not new at this. He was a seasoned collector.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.