Surplus Finds in Home Decor

Uncle Siphuncle

With a little experience behind us, most collectors soon realize that we can’t display everything, and finds languish in boxes unseen for sometimes decades.  

Always mindful of economy of display space, I embarked on a mission to Target and executed a surgical strike on the Housewares Dept, egressing with 3 hollow glass lamps under arm.  

I like Pleistocene horse teeth, so the biggest lamp is loaded with nothing but them, showcasing the full color spectrum generally encountered in Texas terrace deposits around the state.

73ABCDE6-A712-4FE2-BB9F-67D5257AFFDD.jpeg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Another angle

FB9FFA6E-E6ED-4B74-8B7D-248458123AC7.jpeg

Grüße,

And another.  Loves me some horse teeth.

B1335169-7D8A-44D6-964B-E9C69C37209E.jpeg

Grüße,

The next lamp is loaded chock-full-o nothing but Hemiaster bexari echinoids from the Corsicana fm (Masstrichtian) of South Texas.

00A5898E-F655-4811-B6FB-7DF296B52E69.jpeg

Grüße,

The last lamp is loaded up with broken artifacts, some I found as far back as 25 years ago, most bycatch from pay digs.  Most are halves, but some are nearly complete.  I always wondered what I could do with them.

4DE14736-B2C9-4265-A17B-2E6E13689BFE.jpeg

Grüße,

Another angle.

120F042A-6550-4B6C-A253-94BE526E8B93.jpeg

Grüße,

And another.

4EF068AD-5B56-4173-AA7C-662B93AE7E11.jpeg

Grüße,

I generally pull these stunts when my wife is away.  Wish me luck on spousal approval and subsequent matrimonial bliss!

Grüße,

Neat idea.

Have your plastic covers below your ceiling fluorescent light fixtures collapsed yet? Another idea: how about filling with fossils those clear glass blocks that people attach and stack as walls/dividers.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Neat idea.

Have your plastic covers below your ceiling fluorescent light fixtures collapsed yet? Another idea: how about filling with fossils those clear glass blocks that people attach and stack as walls/dividers.

Lots of glass in the house already...13 cases

Grüße,

Great ideas, Dan - very cool conversation pieces.

Good luck with the spousal approval. :fingerscrossed:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Something tells me, a lamp full of horse teeth might be the least approved here.

I think most women would find that a bit too morbid for the living room.

Don't get me wrong, this whole idea is fantastic in my eyes.

A horse tooth lamp would be a stunning addition to a dentist's waiting room...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Something tells me, a lamp full of horse teeth might be the least approved here.

You haven’t seen the rest of our living room!

37A8E59F-1992-4E54-9498-037C258638E3.png

Grüße,

27 minutes ago, Auspex said:

A horse tooth lamp would be a stunning addition to a dentist's waiting room...

While dropping my wife off for a root canal, I casually mentioned that I had a few extra Pleistocene horse teeth rolling around in the car, if she needed them.  

“Shut up!” <smirk>

Glad she saw the humor...

Grüße,

I stand corrected sir, my apologies to you and my sympathies to your wife. :rofl:

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

More of the living room, specifically, a wing known as the “Ammonite Parlor”.  This room is always in flux via high grading.

That’s about half of the fossil displays in the living room.  Had to leave room for the game heads and mounted birds and fish, as I’m “all about balance”.  The rest of the house is another full chapter, but I’ll stop there.

542013CC-51B0-4A52-BA98-99C26EC5EFF4.png

285674F3-1833-46FB-A938-C6325EFDFE46.png

Grüße,

14 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I stand corrected sir, my apologies to you and my sympathies to your wife. :rofl:

Fortunately for me, she’s outdoorsy and in the medical field, so a little skeletal and dental anatomy doesn’t seem to confront her.  We both like feeling like we live in our own little museum.

She has some nice finds on her desk at work alongside some of the old medicine and snake oil bottles we’ve found.

And despite all the stuff in the house, she suggested I build an ammonite mailbox post out front.  I’ll get to that once I finish remodeling the kitchen.

The only real blowback I‘ve caught thus far was when she came home to the Eocene Aquarium one day, an entire wall in the dining room covered with Green River fish.  As a concession, I’ll soon be breaking that display up to make room for some paintings she likes, in “prime wall real estate”.

Grüße,

1 hour ago, michele 1937 said:

they are beautiful.
nice mobile with ammonites.
wonderful fireplace

We don’t have many fires in the fireplace, hahaha.  You can’t see it in the photo, but there is one side of a mammoth mandible and a 30 inch section of mammoth tusk stuffed back their like fireplace logs.

Grüße,

Your stuff is amazing!  My wife and I have had discussions about whether fossils belong inside or out.  I think I've convinced her that Texas vertebrate fossils don't survive outside, but it's been a battle.

Archived