Belemnite ID from Kimmeridge Clay, Speeton, Yorkshire

viator

Hi all,

Can anyone help me identify these belemnites from Speeton? They were found in the rare Kimmeridge Clay beach exposures, all in situ. The first is a stunner at 19cm long and has no distinguishing features. The second is about 12.5cm long and has a deep groove running from the tip to about halfway - is this cylindroteuthis? The third is smaller, at 8cm long, and you can just make out a similar groove (but shallower) down half of its length from the tip.

Many thanks!

Gillian

belemnite1.jpg

belemnite2.jpg

belemnite3.jpg

belemnite4.jpg

belemnite5.jpg

belemnite6.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, @Fossildude19, @TqB has helped answer this on another forum, but we have yet to reach a consensus on the large belemnite in the first 2 images. The other two with the groove running along the one side are likely to be cylindroteuthis obiliscoides.

Does anyone have any ideas about the first large belemnite? 

Thanks all!

It's very likely that the first one has a faint groove which might show up with low angle light - you need to get your eye in on some of these! In the literature, some grooves are described as being represented just by a flat face on the rostrum which admittedly isn't that helpful.

A large enough sample might show continuous variation of furrow depth and morphology with C. obeliscoides  (as seen in some more abundant species of other belemnite).

Otherwise, I think the only published name for UK material that is available is Cylindroteuthis spicularis (Phillips), as utilised by Pavlow and Lamplugh (1892) in their paper on the Speeton Clay for specimens with a faint ventral groove. The type material is basal Kimmeridgian from Cromarty, so earlier than the Speeton Kimmeridgian.

Tarquin

In my defense,and I am serious : I slept very badly last night( about 3 hours).I am not totally sharp,if you get my drift

4 b to d::  C.lenaensis

bcapt_inriyoreurt_011134x3473.jpg

Thanks both! Maybe it is spicularis then. It looks most similar to 1a-d in the above image, though there is no curve to its length. It has a width of about 2.3cm at its widest point and is 19cm long.

Also, it might be worth noting that this belemnite came from a much harder part of the Kimmeridge Clay. When i tried to clean it, it was more like a mudstone that didn't dissolve very easily at all. For the other two smaller belemnites, the clay was easy to clean off. From a different bed maybe?

Archived